Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
750 older sheep in risk of being killed
This petition is dear to my heart, having two older sheep (Josette and Zina) whom I am keeping "for the duration". We would never dream of sending them to an abattoir (they are part of the family!) to become sausage meat or pet food - which is what, however, may happen to 750 older but healthy sheep in Bergundy, France.

For those reading this thread who don't know about sheep, are meat eaters and/or don't understand what the protest is about: sheep in commercial farms are not used for "ordinary" meat once they become seniors, as the flesh is considered too tough. Ewes are, sadly, used year after year to produce lamb for the meat market (that's another topic), but once their loyal service is finished, instead of a well deserved retirement they get sent to the abattoir to be sliced up for sausages. This is the same fate as for milk cows.

The petition is in French, but you can do a "Google translate" if you wish. But the gist of the petition is this:

There is a charity which saved 750 "retired" sheep on a 90 hectare plot. The owner of the land, who was letting it to the charity, went backrupt and the land has been sold. There is an acceptable buyer: the president of "La Fondation pour une Terre Humaine". This would allow the charity to continue to do its work on the land. In theory, everything should be fine: the price is agreed, and the buyer will continue to let the land to the charity. But not under French law: a buyer can lose his/her right to buy if SAFER (an organisation acting for farmers' interests) wishes it to be sold to a farmer on its list. This is in danger of happening. The petition asks SAFER not to exercise its right to overrule the sale and to allow the sale to go through with the originally agreed buyer, who will allow the charity to continue its work.

Please sign the petition here:
http://www.change.org/petitions/m-le-pr%...e_petition
I have signed, and I do hope this works, and the charity will be able to continue to safeguard those sheep.

On that note, I visited the flock of sheep in the far part of the orchard at Easter. Those are the same sheep to whom I brought much needed water during a heatwave last summer. They have been moved since then, but re-appeared in that little orchard late February, with their lambs.
I heard such a commotion...I could hear the sheep even from my house, which has to be at least 3/4 mile away. There were still some lambs with the ewes, but many ewes were pacing, continually calling, wandering around, looking everywhere....
The ewes were basically shouting at the top of their voices.
This noise went on for at least 2 days. Constantly -even at night.
These ewes with their lambs had not made that noise before in over 2 months of them all being there.

I stood against the gate and watched them carefully for a long time.

Then -I think- I understood. I think some of the lambs had been taken away. We know why.
Not all of them had gone however.

Watching those ewes, who must be desperately looking for their little ones day and night....it was very upsetting indeed. One ewe was not even bothering to call out. She sat still, probably exhausted.

Yes -they have feelings too. And their bonds with their young are bonds of deep affection.

Sorry for the sad story. I just needed to say it today.
Good thing you gave us a quick translation. My French is a little rusty. I could follow enough, but you supplied the important details.

I hope this petition works.

Why don't we treat sheep well? Tobi, I am glad you shared the story. I hate the whole lamb at Easter thing. If we are eating a lamb that small, then out there is a grieving mother.

I feel sad for the little flock that you have helped. Smiley19 There is nothing you can do for them this time to make them feel better. They will do it again next year too. Poor sad sheep.Smiley19
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Thank you both for signing. The petition has got a lot of signatures and there is a fair chance that it could succeed. If it doesn't, at least we have done our best and that it is always better than doing nothing.

Tobi, your story is very sad to read, but of course this is going on all over the world, especially after lambing season. The emotional pain experienced by ewes is real. Usually the calling out goes on for a couple of days (intensely) then dies down as the ewes get exhausted. Most townies, of course, do not realise what goes on....
Signed...
Heart It is our deeds, the accumulated acts of goodness and kindness that define us and ultimately are the true measure of our worth. Service is the coin of the spirit.Heart

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Quote:Thank you both for signing. The petition has got a lot of signatures and there is a fair chance that it could succeed. If it doesn't, at least we have done our best and that it is always better than doing nothing.

Tobi, your story is very sad to read, but of course this is going on all over the world, especially after lambing season. The emotional pain experienced by ewes is real. Usually the calling out goes on for a couple of days (intensely) then dies down as the ewes get exhausted. Most townies, of course, do not realise what goes on....

I really hope the petition succeeds. We cannot save every animal at this time, but there is peace in knowing that some are saved.

You are right, most townies don't know what goes on. Worse, I fear most would not care if they did or at least they would be unable to understand. I think we get desensitized, living in the city. We see so much that our ability to care is overloaded.
Catherine

I agree, Catherine. On behalf of those 750 sheep, thanks for signing, Noble Knight!

The petition appears to have reached about 90% of its target. The words written by some of those signing (mostly in French) are quite touching at times. I particularly liked these: "Mettez-vous une seconde à la place de ce mouton et demandez-vous si vous tenez à la vie..." and "les animaux sont nos freres et soeurs". Approximate translation for those who need it: "Put yourself for a second in the place of such a sheep and ask yourself if you cling to life" and "Animals are our brothers and sisters".

Fortunately, there are some good human hearts all over the world.
'Out of sight, out of mind'.. Animal mothers grieve as human mothers do to lose a child.
Are we humans so arrogant 'we' think that only 'we' have feelings?
Heart It is our deeds, the accumulated acts of goodness and kindness that define us and ultimately are the true measure of our worth. Service is the coin of the spirit.Heart

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Those responses are very heartfelt LPC and I am glad to hear them.

No Knight, I think in the majority of cases it isn't arrogance exactly, I think it is blindness, or 'blocking'. We are born (usually) with the natural ability to feel, empathise and know instinctively, as the animals do.
Then something (what??) happens to many of us along the way which puts steel walls up against our true natures! And to our brotherhood and sisterhood with all creatures.

Some people, incarcerated like that, can suddenly wake up when some profound connection happens personally between themselves and an animal, to open their eyes.
Many people do not recognize animals as being alive and feeling creatures. Sadly they are as cold towards people as they are towards animals. They are kind empty inside.

Quote:Some people, incarcerated like that, can suddenly wake up when some profound connection happens personally between themselves and an animal, to open their eyes

Programs that unite prisoners with animals seem to be very successful. It does wake something inside that perhaps has never been awakened before.
If only there was a program to help the general population.

LPC, your translation was better than mine. I couldn't quite get the message straight, but after reading your translation and then rereading the French it seems perfectly clear. I really do need to practice while I still remember anything from my courses.Smiley43
Catherine