Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charlie the cat
Well I have another cat  Smiley4 I had a kitten back in August that I gave to one of my best friends.  He was named Animal and has been doing really well.  Animal has the best little girl that just loves on him all the time.  Well my other best friend had taken in two stray cats shortly after that from around her apartment.  Around Christmas she found out she would be moving and I offered to take both cats if she couldn't take them or find homes for them.  They were able to find a place that didn't charge a pet fee but couldn't take both cats.  So I offered to try and find him a home and taken him in once she moved.  Last Tuesday I went to pick him up and said goodbye to my best friend.  I've known her since we were 5yrs old.  We are basically sisters at this point so of course I was going to help her out. 

Today I took Charlie to the Sumner Spay and Neuter Alliance to get him fixed, vaccinated, and chipped.  As I was typing this up I got the call that he tested positive for Feline Leukemia.  Which significantly lowers the homes that can take him.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feline_leukemia_virus
It's a nasty virus and I suspect he hasn't had it long because he just recently started acting lethargic.  Although at my house he hasn't been too lethargic.  I stuck a Poof activity tracker on him as soon as I got him home last week and he seems to be doing fine as far as their scoring system.  He broke his set score by several points everyday.  His score is set to 78.  He's hit 94, 88, 91, 85, 87, and even today before the vet he was already at 51.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9AEK6qB2h4/
https://www.instagram.com/p/B9LMKj3Bag4/
https://www.instagram.com/p/B9NH17gBm8u/
Hello to Charlie. I am sorry he tested positive for Feline Leukemia. That does complicate things. I suppose you will have to work with him awhile before you know how serious the situation is. He does look fairly healthy and is energetic. Is there a chance that his system is handling it.

He is certainly a nice looking cat,  but finding a home will be harder if he is unwell.
Do they have any treatments for feline leukemia?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(03-03-2020, 04:58 PM)Catherine Wrote: Hello to Charlie. I am sorry he tested positive for Feline Leukemia. That does complicate things. I suppose you will have to work with him awhile before you know how serious the situation is. He does look fairly healthy and is energetic. Is there a chance that his system is handling it.

He is certainly a nice looking cat,  but finding a home will be harder if he is unwell.
Do they have any treatments for feline leukemia?

Whew so the vet was super confusing over the phone and used both leukemia and aids.  BUT when my husband picked him up today they said based on the test the clinic used he tested positive for FIV which is Feline Immunodeficiency Virus.  FeLV is Feline leukemia virus and is basically a death sentence.

I've been reading about this so I'm almost an expert... maybe  Huh

The differance between FIV and FeLV
FIV is only transmitted though blood to blood contact like in a territorial cat fight or breeding.  They call it the fighting cat disease.  The only major change is the cats immune system is now permanently compromised and can get sick easier.  Most cats live a regular lifespan and some never show any symptoms.

FeLV is transmitted though just friendly contact like litter boxes, water & food dishes, mutual grooming...  They call it the friendly cat disease.  This one is a death sentence because most cats don't live past 2-3 years.  It causes severe anemia and suppress the immune system so the cat usually gets sick from something else and it can't fight it off.

So all things considered FIV is the better illness to have but I'll be looking for an indoor home for him.  It would be best if he is the only cat but he could safely live with another cat as long as they get along.  The biggest issue is making sure nothing can compromise his immune system. He needs to go to someone who can keep him in a clean antibacterial house hold and care for him if his immune system stars to crap out.

But he's super sweet and just wants all the love he can handle.  I'm trying to clean out my 3rd bed room and once we do I'm going to set Charlie up in there so I can control his environment more closely.
I am glad you clarified what the two diseases are. It has been years since I really did any reading on the subject. If he has FIV then he can be managed and live a normal life.
Charlie could live happily as an indoor cat in a one cat household. A generally clean house would be good enough. As long as he is not exposed to any cat illnesses he should be okay.  He does look like a very fine cat and I am sure someone will want him.
Catherine

He's a goodlooking cat I'm sure the right person will love him.
Charlie is a super sweet boy. No luck on finding him a home so far. I haven't been able to contact a rescue yet but I do have two I need to talk to that specialize in FIV positive cats. My grandmother passed away last Sunday and I just couldn't write an email that made since to get a rescue interested.
I do know he really doesn't need to live with dogs for sure. He's not really acting scared but he's out right attacked Regina multiple times (repeatedly smacked. no biting) but she's also the only dog that wont learn to leave him alone. The other dogs learned after a couple smacks and now they give him a good 3ft and he's cool. But Poor Regina just wants to be friends and she doesn't understand why he's so mean. I feel bad like I need to find a nice cat for her to meet so she's not scared of them.

here's some more Charlie pics
https://www.instagram.com/p/B9upCZ5h3BK/
I am sorry about your grandmother. You definitely are not focusing on Charlie. Your family must need you right now.

Charlie is a sweet boy. I am sure you will find someone who is just right for him. If he doesn't love your dogs, it would not work for you to keep him. He needs to be an only cat with someone who has time to meet his needs.

You are right, Regina needs to meet a friendly cat so she can learn that cats can be nice.
Catherine

more Charlie pictures and video to lighten up your day.  I still haven't found him a home because COVID-19.  
My husband is ok with keeping him more long term because of everything going on now.
I've been just opening the garage door so Charlie can come and go.  As you can see in the pics I set up Wall E (an old Halloween costume. same friend that gave me Charlie) where the dogs can't follow him.  He's really coming around.  He's not as scared of the dogs these days.  As long as the dogs leave him alone he feels safe to walk around.  It gets hairy when both cat and the dogs are trying to follow me around the house.  I've been trying to teach Charlie to go to the garage but the stairs have been the biggest issue because he or the dogs will get stuck on the wrong sides and Charlie can't get to the garage and the dogs can't get to me.  I have to run to get Charlie so he doesn't get cornered and scared.  KK the bird is safe with two baby gates keeping Charlie out.  He also hasn't shown much interest in trying to get to her.  The gates are more then enough of a deterrent but then the dogs add an extra level.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-C_sP3BbeF/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-FQRTIhDWZ/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-Sd4OfBQFw/
I am glad to see that Charlie is looking good and you are finding ways to make it work. 

Right now it is hard to do anything ordinary like finding a home for a cat. Everything is on hold because of Covid 19. 
Toronto is totally shut down. Only essential services are running. Ontario is having over 200 new cases a day so we are in a bad spot right now.

Maybe someone in your area who wants a pet to keep them company will notice Charlie and you can find a way to set things up.
If not, things will go back to normal eventually. Maybe Charlie will get to like the dogs. That would help.
Catherine