Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charlie the cat
(03-03-2020, 04:58 PM)Catherine Wrote: Hello to Charlie. I am sorry he tested positive for Feline Leukemia. That does complicate things. I suppose you will have to work with him awhile before you know how serious the situation is. He does look fairly healthy and is energetic. Is there a chance that his system is handling it.

He is certainly a nice looking cat,  but finding a home will be harder if he is unwell.
Do they have any treatments for feline leukemia?

Whew so the vet was super confusing over the phone and used both leukemia and aids.  BUT when my husband picked him up today they said based on the test the clinic used he tested positive for FIV which is Feline Immunodeficiency Virus.  FeLV is Feline leukemia virus and is basically a death sentence.

I've been reading about this so I'm almost an expert... maybe  Huh

The differance between FIV and FeLV
FIV is only transmitted though blood to blood contact like in a territorial cat fight or breeding.  They call it the fighting cat disease.  The only major change is the cats immune system is now permanently compromised and can get sick easier.  Most cats live a regular lifespan and some never show any symptoms.

FeLV is transmitted though just friendly contact like litter boxes, water & food dishes, mutual grooming...  They call it the friendly cat disease.  This one is a death sentence because most cats don't live past 2-3 years.  It causes severe anemia and suppress the immune system so the cat usually gets sick from something else and it can't fight it off.

So all things considered FIV is the better illness to have but I'll be looking for an indoor home for him.  It would be best if he is the only cat but he could safely live with another cat as long as they get along.  The biggest issue is making sure nothing can compromise his immune system. He needs to go to someone who can keep him in a clean antibacterial house hold and care for him if his immune system stars to crap out.

But he's super sweet and just wants all the love he can handle.  I'm trying to clean out my 3rd bed room and once we do I'm going to set Charlie up in there so I can control his environment more closely.

Messages In This Thread
Charlie the cat - by Libby - 03-03-2020, 07:51 AM
RE: Charlie the cat - by Catherine - 03-03-2020, 04:58 PM
RE: Charlie the cat - by Libby - 03-04-2020, 06:23 AM
RE: Charlie the cat - by Catherine - 03-04-2020, 03:45 PM
RE: Charlie the cat - by Catslave - 03-06-2020, 12:40 PM
RE: Charlie the cat - by Libby - 03-15-2020, 07:15 AM
RE: Charlie the cat - by Catherine - 03-15-2020, 05:00 PM
RE: Charlie the cat - by Libby - 03-30-2020, 06:55 AM
RE: Charlie the cat - by Catherine - 03-30-2020, 04:30 PM