Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Radioactive wolves
Thank-you for sharing this information with us. I never thought about Wales being directly in the path of the radiation cloud.

I imagine there are a number of studies still going on. So the soil was contaminated and the sheep were not safe to eat, but I notice that the sheep survived. I wonder if there was an increase in birth defects in sheep and other animals in the area?
Did the farmers have health problems because of the radiation the were exposed to?
As you say the radioactive material has a long half life. We are setting up "dead zones" all over the world. Nature can survive there, but we can't. We did all that nuclear bomb testing in the forties and fifties and even into the sixties. Three Mile Island released a lot of radiation into the area and now Fukushima. I understand radiation is being carried on the ocean currents and is now reaching the west coast of North America. So is it safe to eat the salmon?

When we aren't spilling oil into the water we are contaminating it with other even worse things. Where I grew up in Manitoba, the whole Lake Winnipeg fishing industry had to be shut down because the water had been contaminated with Mercury from the pulp and paper industry.
What a mess indeed.Smiley26
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I found another article about Chernobyl. The area is of great scientific interest. The results are not at all what we would have predicted. We know that now, but now we need to understand why things are so different.
http://www.policymic.com/articles/88483/...ears-later

I really hope there are no more nuclear accidents, but I want to see what Fukushima will be like after a number of years. It seems that nature is able to heal itself no matter what we do. That is a good thing because we keep doing bad things to nature.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine