Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grooming your own dog is not so easy.
With dog groomers shut down as non essential services people are starting to think about grooming their own pets. It is not going as well as expected.
That perfectly groomed look is the work of a professional.  The home grooming results are hilarious.

https://www.unilad.co.uk/animals/austral...that-easy/

https://www.heraldnet.com/life/stay-at-h...rcuts-too/

Some places have been able to get pet grooming declared essential as part of good health for a pet. The results are better than the home haircuts.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pet-supply-...-pandemic/

With those pictures in mind I am not touching my hair no matter how long it gets. Maybe it would be okay to just trim a little hair from a pets face so it can be comfortable and leave the difficult bits for the groomer.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Forgy was terrified of having his back or tail touched when he first joined us. He was presumably ill-treated before he was admitted to the refuge. He was in there for three months, and during that time they tried, to their credit, to deal with his severely matted fur. When he came to live with us, his fur was still quite matted - but we left it for a few months, as he was so nervous of his back and tail being touched. Fear takes time to pass, both for humans and other animals.

Anyway, four years down the line, and with loving care (and treats given during the trimming) he will now allow us to cut his fur without too much protest. He would never have tolerated a stranger touching his back and tail in the first couple of years, so we have trimmed his fur from the beginning. I bought a battery powered trimmer and curved safety scissors. We do it a little at a time, but regularly, so he is almost used to it now.

As for my hair....well, I am very lucky, as Tamara was trained as a hairdresser when she was young (although she did not do it for long), so I get my hair cut at home and for free!
Quote:As for my hair....well, I am very lucky, as Tamara was trained as a hairdresser when she was young (although she did not do it for long), so I get my hair cut at home and for free!
Lucky you! I am starting to look like a sheepdog. If I start cutting my hair myself it could take months to fix it I am not letting anyone else near my hair. 
I'm with Forgy.  You have to be careful who you let near you with scissors.  

It is good that you got Forgy used to you doing his hair. It means you can take care of him now. People who are jumping right in to grooming and buzzing off a bunch of hair are leaving their poor pets in a mess.

That was quite remarkable that you were able to remove Forgy's matts with time and patience. Even if they were uncomfortable it must have been scary at first to have someone cut them off.
Catherine

Que interesante son estos temas son geniales
Welcome to the forum. Tell us about yourself and your interest in animals.
Catherine