Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have a new baby bearded dragon
I have just brought a baby bearded dragon. He is from a litter that just arrived at the reptile center.  

[Image: yn9pD0EdTq4GkieXar7KUDLf-jp0ln-G6iHA_ZSr...authuser=0]

He is so cute.
This is a better picture
[Image: fRD_604H1ZVsMPEyoMAuWtzpAhzwOHtMc-B3OOe0...authuser=0]

My new beardie is the smaller one. The bigger lizard has been fostering with me for a few weeks. He wasn't eating well and my place is quiet and it was easier to get him to focus on food.  He could go home now. He has been fun.
The new little guy is staying permanently. You all know me and reptile rescuing. Yes there is something wrong with him. His left  front leg is gone above the elbow. The stump has healed well and he is getting around just fine. However he does need to be with someone who knows how to deal with his needs.
Right now he is tiny and can climb things. When he is bigger and heavier the lack of a foot to hold on with will make climbing harder. I will need to set things up so he can climb safely and even sleep safely.
I notice that he is sleeping on the sand tonight. Maybe he already doesn't feel safe sleeping on a log like the other beardie does.

I haven't raised a baby beardie in years. This is going to be fun.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Oh dear little thing! He will be okay with you, and will have a good start and a happy life. I don't know if you'll be able to keep him when he grows big? If not, I am sure you will find exactly the right person to adopt him.
But for now, be happy little Bearded Dragon.
I wonder what happened to his leg?

Sadly the pictures didn't load properly Catherine.
That is strange about the pictures. I will try to load them differently.

The little guy will be staying with me permanently. I still have my bearded dragon set up. He will need consistent care. His front leg is partly  missing. The stump is short so he leans to one side if he uses his stump to walk. He would be better with no leg. He would learn to walk three legged. Leaning on a short leg twists his spine a bit. That could be a problem for his long term health. He needs a little prosthetic leg so he can walk straight. I don't know if anyone has done that for a lizard.

Baby beardies hatch out wild and hungry. They can nip off toes and tail tips from the ones that are slower to hatch.  This little guy is smaller and probably hatched last. He will do okay, but I will need to work with him to give him the best setup for his needs.

I am having trouble posting pictures. I will try something else tomorrow.
The things I tried today didn't work.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine