Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Animal podcast
I thought I would share a great animal podcast on a streaming platform called twitch.

The podcast is almost every Friday. All donations go towards the guest's animal charity of choice.

► Twitch: http://twitch.tv/maya

You may also follow the host here:

► Twitter: http://twitter.com/mayahiga6

also if you'd like to check it out here is the website for the podcast: https://conservationcast.net/
I will check out the podcasts when I have time. Welcome to the forum. Do tell us about yourself.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Sure Hi Catherine

My name is of course Jordan. I love Nature, going hiking, animals of course. I volunteer at an animal rehabilitation center.

I've been watching the podcast for nearly a year I believe the host said there will be no podcast this week. Just a warning: When she doesn't do the podcast there is a good amount of cursing. On Monday and Wednesday If you don't care for cursing stay clear of those days and probably this Friday as well. 

I just want to say Thank you for being so welcoming.
Most of us like hiking/walking and animals.  A number of us take in rescue animals or volunteer with animals. I actually do gardening for the Humane Society shelter in my city.  I just took in a recue baby bearded dragon with a foot missing. He picture is posted in the reptile section. I haven't even named him yet.

What is the animal rehabilitation centre like. What types of animals do they help?
Catherine

Well, Today we've brought in 20 starlings, 5 barn owls, and 12 baby raccoons among other things. My interview for a position was quite easy because the center is mainly birds and I'm a falconer so they accepted me as a volunteer quite quickly.
They were probably very glad to have someone with your bird experience.  
You must be further south. Our starlings and other birds are  getting a slow start on nesting and there are no little ones to rescue. 
Of course there are always baby raccoons.

From the look of the skunk I saw tonight we should have baby skunks around soon. 

I have never actually talked to a falconer before.  What species of birds do you work with. Do you work in a particular area with them?
Catherine

Hi Catherine

Sorry for the late reply my main bird is a peregrine falcon but I often take home birds from the center for rehabilitation (i.e. american kestrels and red-tailed hawks to name a few) I also do abatement.
We have all of those birds around Toronto. The Peregrine falcons sometimes nest in the city. I have seen and heard kestrels. The reptile centre I volunteer at had an injured kestrel for a couple of days before he was transferred to the Toronto Wildlife Centre. His wing might have been injured. but he had no trouble eating our mice. He was a beautiful little bird.
We have red tailed hawks all over the city. I love watching them.

So what is involved with abatement?

It must be amazing to take birds home. I take home any reptiles that are injured or just not doing well. I brought home an older Colombian Tegu that someone dropped off. He is a challenge to look after, but Barrie is also very special.
Catherine

Yes I often take home red tails because they get hit by cars its happened numerous times. With abatement I work for a farm to keep nuisance birds away from crops just my birds presence is enough to keep those birds at bay usually.
Quote:Yes I often take home red tails because they get hit by cars its happened numerous times. With abatement I work for a farm to keep nuisance birds away from crops just my birds presence is enough to keep those birds at bay usually.

That is a good way of protecting the crops without harming the environment. Toronto Airport uses falconers to prevent bird strikes. The hawks just have to fly over and the other birds stay away.

Years ago, coming back from skiing in the Rockies we saw a hawk on the side of the road. We stopped because it didn't seem right. We were able to catch the bird and we took him back to Calgary and turned him over to the vet at the zoo. There would have been no wildlife centres back then. They were able to heal his injuries and he was released that spring.  It was a big hawk, but not a red tailed hawk. I can't remember now. It was a long time ago. 
We had no equipment with us. We threw my ski jacket over the bird and I held it in my lap all the way back to Calgary. He was an armful, but he sat quietly.
Catherine