Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beware of puppy scams
There have been puppy scams before now, but with the pandemic the scammers use the virus  as an excuse for not letting a buyer actually see the puppy. 
People have paid out thousands of dollars and there is no puppy. There are a number of requests for more money and then they never hear from the seller again.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/corona...f9540f46dd

These scams are happening in a number of countries. There may be local variations, but the basic scam is the same. There is a picture of a very cute puppy. 
The person can't come and see the puppy because of the virus. A deposit  must be sent and then other fees and eventually all contact is lost and the person never gets a puppy.  I some scams the person is given an address. The address is either an empty lot or the home of someone who know nothing about the scam.

I know a picture of a cute puppy can be very compelling and the desire to have that puppy can cloud our judgement. Any time you shop on line be careful. Try to verify a web site. If there is a large amount of money involved, insist upon seeing the puppy in person. Be suspicious if the seller refuses any chance of seeing the puppy and seems to ask for more money for various reasons.  

Better than shopping online for a puppy, contact a local shelter and adopt a dog or a puppy. It will cost you less and you will be giving a home to an animal that needs you.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It was just on our news a few people got caught.
With so many homeless dogs and cats (and other animals), it is a terrible waste of money to spend a fortune on buying a pedigree. If these people who were scammed had instead approached a refuge, they could have given a home to a homeless companion animal in return for a small donation. They would have avoided financial loss and would be helping those who need a home.
Quote:It was just on our news a few people got caught.

I am glad they caught them. Sadly this was just one of many scams. People need to think before they send off money for anything.
You are right LPC, people should keep their money and approach a shelter or rescue group and adopt a dog that needs a home.
If they want to make a large donation so they can tell people their dog cost them a lot, I am sure the shelter can use the money.
They would get to see their dog and know that they have given a home to an animal in need.

There are even rescue groups for some breeds so it might be possible to adopt a purebred instead of giving money to scammers.
Catherine

Indeed, Catherine - especially greyhounds no longer wanted after their racing lives are over. There are lots of greyhound rescue societies.
Greyhounds make such wonderful pets. There are a number of rescue greyhounds in my neighbourhood. They are gentle and well behaved dogs and they wear dogs coats with such class and dignity. 

The various dog rescues and shelters all have purebred dogs for those who insist on a purebred. They are great dogs and the fees go towards helping other  shelter animals instead of funding scammers.
Catherine

My sister adopted a greyhound her name is Daisy she's gorgeous and spoilt rotten.
Your sister must be a great lady! May she and Daisy have a happy time together, for many more years!
I bet Daisy is a beautiful dog.  She deserves to be spoiled.  She must have had a hard life before your sister rescued her. 
All the rescue greyhounds I have met are special. They were raised without love and yet they are such gentle loving dogs.
Catherine