Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two baby gorillas at Bronx Zoo
I wish I was in New York! Seeing one baby gorilla is amazing, I don't even have a word for seeing two at once.

http://blog.petflow.com/the-bronx-zoo-ha...ing-about/

Gorillas are the best moms. Look how they hold the baby close to them all the time at first. I think all babies were meant to be snuggled at first. They certainly look happy.Heart
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Awww!
Gorillas are very intelligent, loyal and loving.
When you look into their eyes there is a whole depth there. They don't speak, but they do communicate. I have had some beautiful moments with our Toronto Gorillas. I saw a mom kiss her baby's toes. It is so like something I would have done. Heart

If we want to know how to raise our children to be well and happy, perhaps we should watch Gorilla moms. They hold their babies and keep them close all the time for the first months. I am sure the babies can hear mom's heart beat and feel comforted all the time at first. No Gorilla mom ever put her baby in a crib and left it alone. No newborn Gorilla ever woke up alone. Maybe that is what newborns need. When I watch a Gorilla mom it makes me think.
Catherine

There's a world of character in those eyes. And they do seem to know just what the baby needs.
As you say, Catherine, no Gorilla Mum leaves her baby to cry or without contact. You never see a Baby ape with a dummy or comforter. Do they ever suck their thumbs? They DO have 4 to choose from!!
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
Quote:There's a world of character in those eyes. And they do seem to know just what the baby needs.
As you say, Catherine, no Gorilla Mum leaves her baby to cry or without contact. You never see a Baby ape with a dummy or comforter. Do they ever suck their thumbs? They DO have 4 to choose from!!

Baby gorillas nurse when ever they want and I have not seen one suck its fingers/thumb or any thing else. Mom is right there and they never feel the need for any other comfort.

I must do an up date on Gladys, she is a baby gorilla raised from birth by zoo keepers, but raised as a gorilla. It meant 24 hour contact by keepers in furry vests, crawling around with Gladys clinging to them, while they made gorilla like vocalizations. It worked. Now that she can hold a bottle on her own she has been bonded with a real gorilla mom and is part of a gorilla family. Gorillas don't just make good moms, they make good adoptive moms.Heart
Catherine