Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mink cull in the Netherlands because of pandemic
Ten Thousand mink were to be killed in the Netherlands because some tested positive for the corona virus. Animal protection groups have managed to get the killing postponed until Monday. They need to present their case to protect the mink. 
In deciding to postpone the killing the judge was also considering the economic impact on the mink farmers. The mink industry would need to be subsidized for their losses.
In other words for the courts, it is about the money, it is not about the mink.

http://www.euronews.com/2020/06/05/nethe...-transmiss

It is sad that they still raise mink on farms like that. It is sadder still that whether they live or die has little to do with the animals and a lot to do with economics.
If they do manage to stop the culling and spare the mink, they will be killed later for their fur. Whatever happens the mink lose.
The mink should not have been in cramped cages under cruel conditions in the first place.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(06-08-2020, 04:10 PM)Catherine Wrote: If they do manage to stop the culling and spare the mink, they will be killed later for their fur. Whatever happens the mink lose.
The mink should not have been in cramped cages under cruel conditions in the first place.
When I saw this thread, that was my first thought. I couldn't care less about the finances of the mink farmers. I do care very much about the appalling conditions in which they are raised - with the sole aim of killing them later for their fur.

This article is mainly about Chinese mink farms, but in Europe and elsewhere (Russia and USA) the conditions are not much better:
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/...g-welfare/

This is what we should be concerned about, not the finances of mink farmers.
I was angry when I read the article. Sure they halted the cull. but it turned out they did it because of the economic needs of the mink farmers.
The mink were never considered. They are going to be killed no matter what happens. All the judge cared about was the farmers.

That is a thorough article. It makes a lot of good points. However whether it is a bad mink farm or a worse mink farm, it is still a mink farm.
The purpose of a mink farm is to raise mink to kill them for their skins because we think they make our clothing more fashionable.
We don't need to wear fur. We have non fur alternatives that work very well. I live in Canada and always have. We have cold and colder and even coldest winters. 
I don't wear fur and I am warm enough.

Wearing mink is a form of vanity and no animal should live a sort cruel life and have a horrible death just to satisfy human vanity.

We need to stop fur farming. There is no excuse for wearing fur.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine