Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flight arrives in Toronto with dozens of dead puppies
A flight from Ukraine arrived in Toronto 500 puppies on board, 38 of them dead and many seriously ill and dehydrated. These were French Bull Dog puppies and they were almost certainly from a puppy mill.

They are bred in large numbers and sold young to people who resell them at a large profit to people who think they are locally bred. There are no real vaccination records or health histories. The dogs are shipped in large groups even thought flights are not supposed to have more than two dogs in the hold per flight.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ukraine-f...-1.5620691

What happened to the puppies is terrible. I can't imagine what it was like for them crammed together in the hold of a plane, dying.
There is fault on the part of the breeder and the airline. Both are in the wrong.

However the real cause of this situation  is the people who want to buy these puppies. They don't do their research and determine where the puppies can from or how they were raised. They just want a particular breed of puppy and are willing to pay outrageous prices for it. As long as people are willing to pay, puppy mills will continue to exist. 

There are things that can be done to regulate airlines that ship animals. There can be rules against puppy mills that make it harder for them to function.  If we really want to stop this people have to stop buying their dogs.  Adopt don't shop.  If they don't make money they will give up breeding dogs.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(06-21-2020, 05:13 PM)Catherine Wrote: They just want a particular breed of puppy and are willing to pay outrageous prices for it. As long as people are willing to pay, puppy mills will continue to exist....

If we really want to stop this people have to stop buying their dogs.  Adopt don't shop.  If they don't make money they will give up breeding dogs.
Those were exactly my thoughts after I had read the article. This cruel trade is driven by demand - in this case, from the Canadian public. If the demand dried up, the trade would die (and good riddance!)
This is a global problem. Some countries are willing to pay anything for a puppy. Other countries are willing to do anything to produce the puppies.
This won't stop until we stop paying. I am disappointed that Canadians are willing to pay for puppies that are clearly from puppy mills. If we stopped paying they would stop sending puppies to their deaths. We need to change now.  Adopt don't shop. There are lots of nice dogs out there that would be better than these poor  puppy mill puppies who have lived under such terrible conditions in their short lives.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine