Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barrie is gone
My beautiful Black and white Colombian Tegu Barrie is gone.  These last weeks he has been failing. He was losing weight and he just lost interest in food.
He was an old lizard who had a poor start in life. His body just gave out.  He was barely breathing and he didn't seem too aware. When I checked a short time later  he was gone

[Image: abnRuDtrVxiwwq-Lc-sawIpgqj-R9dgLGrY27_b2...=w489-h275]

He was very special and we had special times together.
[Image: kXjDnK0PkyMo-pj_l6woRGx473ZYi8kPrmMFlH4B...5-h4080-no]

We were close.

[Image: kLeqH0VaN5auakdA5yye7espcDxNmQUDDwTLykK6...5-h3220-no]

[Image: ZUeFr4lWP6yVhQZvAxlGNXh01nVN9NRgIDpG1jE0...5-h4080-no]

He was younger here.

[Image: TaxGfrg95f3-A0b55h2mXnCSBDhxF0wQy8TVilKL...5-h4080-no]

He was a big beautiful boy.
[Image: y3tWUdC-iauwsgBuo8AbWAA19uoWwts8l_gQV5II...=w489-h275]

He died on his pretty blue blankets.
[Image: KftSAVKn960eed9jlQ_bUuipPXvBQ-wTo6B7Qiks...=w407-h275]

[Image: IMG_1789.JPG]

We had so much good time together in the last four years. It just ended so quickly.
I have a special place in the garden where his tired body can rest.
Now his wild restless lizard spirit can run free across the Rainbow Bridge. 
Goodbye Barrie, I am going to miss you.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Sorry to hear the sad news about Barrie, Catherine. I remember you proudly announcing his arrival at your home a few years ago. I also remember your other posts about him. Run free on the astral, dear Barrie!

Catherine, you have rescued so many animals that you will certainly be recognised as a "rescuer" at the Bridge. Have you read the rescuer's version of the Bridge story?

https://www.facebook.com/notes/benny-arc...2075427922

You need a Facebook account to read it, but for those who haven't got such an account, or don't want one, then there is a copy of it here (with Benny's permission, given some years ago):

https://do-animals-have-souls.info/rainbow-bridge.html

It is the second version on the page. Keep a pack of paper tissues nearby.
Smiley19 
That is so beautiful. Who ever wrote that had a special understanding about unloved and unrescued animals. Their spirits must be very bleak at death.

I bring dying animals home so they can die in a loving home.  Little Birdie, the baby bearded dragon, only lived two days with me last month. He was born from a too small egg and was to small to live. He didn't die unloved. His little body rests in my garden with all the other beloved rescues.

Barrie had four good years where he was loved and cherished. I hope he forgot all the years of neglect that he endured before he came to me.  He passed quietly into death and I think he was at peace. He was much loved and he still is.

If when I reach the Rainbow Bridge I can take with me a whole lot of unloved animals when I cross,  I will cross the Bridge happily.

Until then I will bring home any unloved animal I can and try to make their last moments happy.
Catherine

Sending you my kindest thoughts Catherine. Heart 
Dear little Barrie, bless your Soul.
You must miss him very much indeed.
Thank-you for your kind thoughts. 
It seems so strange not to have Barrie with me. He was a real presence.

I hated to see his tank dark and empty so the old Hognose Snake and his younger partner are using the space. They can have lots of fun in that tank.
Jake Krinkle Snake lived in that tank and before him my bearded dragon Jonathan. It is an odd sized tank and it works well for the ones that need special care.

I really did love having Barrie with me. It was a special time.
Catherine

oh noooo! I'm so sorry for your loss!
Thank-you. I know you have had your loses lately so you understand.

Barrie was an older lizard when I brought him home so I knew I didn't have a lot of time, but I did hope for a little more time.
I did give him the best I could with the time we had. It was totally worth it!
Catherine

I know all too well sadly my beloved Chinese water dragon, Saphira, got sick and passed very suddenly. She was gone before I could get her into the vet. I hate after all she went though something took her so quick but I always know there's a chance my rescues wont live long. I just try to give them a happy stress free life for as long as I have them.
I remember you talking about him tearing his enclosure apart and watching him zoom around. Which is how I remember him even though I never met him you are great at describing their personality. Just like Jake Krinkle Snake how he would work with you to help him shed Smile
Losing Saphira was a heartbreak. She should have had many years.

Barrie was so funny with his midnight crazies. I loved watching him. He always ended up settling down to sleep, usually right next to where I sit at the computer.
He liked to be near me.

Jake was so funny. He wanted to shed, but he couldn't do it without help. He would try so hard to help so he would at least feel like he could partly shed on his own. I loved it when he was racing to get across the tank and it would still take him 10 minutes.

Our special rescues bring such treasured memories. I have many snakes that can shed without help, but I cherish the memory of the one that needed help.
Whenever we bring home a special needs pet we know that time is limited.  I think it makes us value every moment more. I know I loved my time with Barrie.
Just knowing he was there made me happy and he was happy to be with me. Heart It was the best time for both of us.
Catherine