Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cruel Bird Traps!
Today while walking through the orchard I discovered another Larsen Trap. These are cage traps in which a captured Magpie is left. This imprisoned bird (which goes crazy in there) is meant to attract other rival birds such as other Magpies or Crows, which then enter the other side of the cage, and are trapped there.
Then when someone eventually comes to inspect the traps, the captive birds are shot or otherwise killed.

This horrible Countryside practice of torturing birds (very intelligent birds) is supported widely by so-called countryside and wildlife 'lovers' in the UK. They do it "to protect song-birds" from Crows and Magpies. Buzzards, cats, and foxes will all take song-birds given the chance. So will some rival song-birds. But Crows and Magpies always get persecuted.

The cages are set up early in the day, and the captive bird is there for hours. They suffer terribly, and are usually bloody and battered in a matter of hours.

I let the Magpie go. Whenever I see one of those traps, I always will, as long as I can still walk.
I have been hated by locals for doing this, for various reasons. One of the reasons has been that I trespass in order to discover the inhumane traps. The second reason is they and I think very differently. There is no reason to torture another Being. Killing for food....that is a different thing, but this is wanton torture without compassion.

The Magpie was glad to get out of there. He/she wasn't in too bad condition, no injuries. Just shocked, and probably dehydrated and in need of food. As a bird needs its own body weight of food per day, I hope it had enough time to hunt something before night-fall.

The people who set up these traps are also the same people who go to the little Church across the orchard on Sundays and pray to Jesus Christ.....

The shocking thing is they cannot see it.
We have magpies and crows in our grounds. They are welcome here. But there are lots of other birds, too. We hear lots and lots of beautiful birdsong. I haven't seen any signs of any destruction of songbirds - except by my my mother's cat! The blaming of magpies and crows is quite unjust and unfounded, IMHO.

(05-07-2014, 05:12 AM)Tobi Wrote: I let the Magpie go. Whenever I see one of those traps, I always will, as long as I can still walk.
I have been hated by locals for doing this, for various reasons. One of the reasons has been that I trespass in order to discover the inhumane traps. The second reason is they and I think very differently.
Good for you! It doesn't matter what the locals think of you. If they have hate in their heart, that is their problem. You have done what you feel to be right. You have followed the Universal law of love and respect for other life.
(05-07-2014, 05:12 AM)Tobi Wrote: The people who set up these traps are also the same people who go to the little Church across the orchard on Sundays and pray to Jesus Christ.....

The shocking thing is they cannot see it.
Yes, that is the trouble with many people who follow organised religion. The original simple message is forgotten with all the dogma and ritual. The result is often hypocrisy, sadly - as in this case.
LPC, I have also noticed the return of the Song Thrush in my area (missing for a while) It is a pleasure to hear its voice again!
And all the while, Magpies, Crows, Jackdaws, and Buzzards flourish here quite happily, and there is a hunting-cat about (called 'Buddy'!) Plus numerous feral cats from up at the farm.
So I can't see any countryside logic in the cruel practice of using Larsen Traps!...especially as not many of those traps get by my vigilance. I couldn't sleep at night thinking I had missed one.....
So for all their efforts, they don't get to kill many crows and Magpies, thank goodness.
So it goes to show the song birds are doing okay without humans interfering with their heartless ways.
Sometimes I destroy the traps so they are un-usable, and sometimes (like today) I don't have time. As someone was not far away and I had to be very quick.
I have never heard of traps like that. I am surprized that the local RSPCA is not out there banning them. It seems to be an intentionally cruel method of catching birds. And it is so un-necessary. Magpies and crows have their place in the natural order. Targeting them is not good thinking.
And it is cruel!

I have to hope that "what goes around comes around" and those who trap like that somehow get to experience what it is like first hand.

Good for you Tobi. I picture you out there freeing birds from traps. I wish I was there to help. If the universe gives out rewards you deserve the best.
Certainly when you cross the Rainbow bridge, flocks of birds will greet you with joyous song.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

The use of Larsen traps is controversial. They were first invented in Denmark, and now have been outlawed there as being unnecessarily cruel.

In the UK in many country areas they are often used, and people who condone their use, look on what they are doing as 'pest control'. To them it's like setting a mouse trap or putting down rat poison (neither of which are particularly humane either!) But that's how they view it. And their awareness of any cruelty involved....well they turn a blind eye to it, or have switched off their empathy.

I have not yet met one person who lives in my area who disagrees with the use of Larsen traps. I am obviously living on a different planet to them....
They think I am naive, have 'no idea what country life is about', don't understand ecology, wilfully damage property....etc
The more friendly ones think I am too soft.

The first time I ever found one of these traps, many years ago, I broke the thing into smithereens with an axe, after setting 2 bloodied birds free. I called the RSPCA. They told me the traps are legal, so long as food and water is provided for the trapped bird. And that damaging the traps is illegal. (I didn't give them my name or location as I had Misty to think about -now I wouldn't care.)

The one thing a trapped bird is NOT interested in is the food and grain provided. They are panicked and endure that for hours, usually sustaining injury to their wings, faces, and upper beak. Some die. They are put there to encourage other Corvids (Crows, Jackdaws, Magpies) to descend into the opposite side of the tiny cage
As far as I can tell the UK magpies are the same as the Canadian ones. They live out west in Alberta and when I was there I really loved their personalities. They would eat dead animals, but I never heard of them killing other birds. Are they sure they actually kill other birds. I doubt it.

The traps are just plain wrong. Trapping of any kind is bad, but the Larson trap is especially cruel.
Good for you that you axed the trap. Is there a way you could wreck the trap with wire cutters? It might be faster and you could carry wire cutters easier than an axe. Better you not get caught, unless you plan to make a case in the courts. After all the birds need you out there rescuing them.

It is an honour when the people around you think you are naïve and too soft. It means you are not like them. You are something more and something better. I think the human race is changing and some of us have changed more than others. We are aware of truths that some people will never understand.
I hope you are able to rescue many birds in time.
Catherine

(05-08-2014, 08:29 AM)Tobi Wrote: I have not yet met one person who lives in my area who disagrees with the use of Larsen traps. I am obviously living on a different planet to them....
You are on a different plane of awareness, certainly!

I did some research and found that this cruel trap is mostly used in the UK, plus to a lesser degree in Australia. It is illegal in some other countries. Amazon UK even has listings for anyone to buy the traps!

I found a good description of the trap and its results here:
http://www.againstcorvidtraps.co.uk/corv...rsen-traps

But more importantly, it would seem that there is a hidden agenda here. Most of the proponents of these traps are themselves involved with shooting birds and are really only protecting their "stock" in order to get money from shoots. There is a very revealing page here:
http://www.againstcorvidtraps.co.uk/song...loodsports

These people aren't really protecting the countryside! They are protecting their pockets, as money from paying shoots can be substantial.

Thank you so much for bringing up this topic, Tobi. I for one was unaware of these traps until you mentioned them (on the old forum, I think).
Yes platy, Magpies and other birds will eat birds' eggs, and rob nests sometimes. But not exclusively as they will eat anything. But don't humans do similar?....and worse?

I try to work undercover, Catherine, nowadays. I'm the silent and mysterious sneaky person who does secret patrols, can sneak through any hedges, run like the wind and disappear.
I like to make the traps un-usable again, or a nuisance/expense to replace if I can, but that's not my top priority. Getting the birds out is the first thing.
I am glad you brought the subject up. I had never heard of bird trapping. The whole idea seems bizarre.

Good research LPC. I can see where the people who support trapping have a lot to gain by it. They certainly are not interested in ecology or the balance of nature. I did not realise that there was so much money to be made from bird shoots. What is it about killing that people are so willing to pay for it. Huh

Are Ravens native to the areas where the penguins live? It doesn't seem like there is a proper balance there. Or do smart penguins build safer burrows. That is part of the natural balance. Birds that are poor parents tend not to have surviving offspring. It is nature's way of keeping things healthy. We tip the balance in a bad way when we kill healthy birds. I never even thought about the baby birds that would be orphaned. That makes it even worse.

Tobi, I am glad you are out there freeing birds. I hope there are many people who are doing the same thing. How strong are the traps. After the bird is free can you stomp it with your boots? The wire looks pretty thick. A small sledge hammer might work pretty quickly. I know you need to be stealthy and bird safety is the first priority.

Keep us posted. I wish I was there to help. I love the crows and ravens. When I lived in Alberta I found the Magpies delightful.Heart
Catherine

Quote:Yep both ravens and penguins are native. It's just natures way. My friend is currently doing his PhD on it, he's only looking at natural borrows not our man made box borrows, which he should finish this year so I'll post his report when it's published.

I look forward to hearing about it.
We don't have any burrowing birds so crows and ravens don't exhibit that kind of behavior.
Wait a minute, there are small burrowing owls on the prairies, but there burrows would be too small for a raven and I don't think ravens live in that area. Or maybe they don't live there during nesting season. Our birds travel long distances.

No doubt Tobi is out there looking for trapped birds to rescue.
Catherine