Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dogs getting Lyme Disease
It seems that the occurrence of Lyme disease in dogs is increasing.
I think this is a North American problem, in particular the north east. It is good to be aware of the danger and watch for signs of illness. It is better to learn to watch for the ticks and prevent them from attaching in the first place.

http://parade.condenast.com/290333/miche...revent-it/

I think it is good to be cautious if you live north of the danger area because I believe the ticks are occurring further and further north because of climate change.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I am amazed that I missed this post of yours before, Catherine.
It's quite important to be Lyme aware, concerning our dogs. Lyme disease has as many devastating effects on them as it does on humans. And is equally tricky to treat (though not impossible!)
It also occurs in Britain, and not as a rare thing.

One secret when it comes to Ticks is to remove them as quickly as possible, and even if they are noticed only after they have attached and are feeding, there is a window of about 24 hours, where if the Tick is removed, it is very unlikely to transmit disease.
Also, many many Ticks do not carry Lyme, but it's better to be on the safe side.

Removal is quite easy but has to be done properly. With tweezers (those pointed ones are best) grasp the Tick firmly not over its body, but at its neck, where it is attached to the skin. Then pull gently and firmly, making sure the head comes out too. Don't try to smother it, squeeze it, or burn it off.

Over the years I must have removed umpteen Ticks from Misty. She hated the word "Tick"....lol! She also hated these phrases: "Let me have a look at it".....and "I'll get it off you."
She never contracted Lyme disease. Although some have in my area.
I did not know that there is Lyme Disease in Britain. I thought that it was just a North American problem. This is good to know. I do know that the range is extending further north than before.

Do I remember tick searches when I lived in Manitoba.
Good instructions on how to get them off. The sooner they are removed the better.

Dogs and people get Lyme Disease, but so do Deer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyme_disease

It is better to be prepared and know what to look for. Early treatment brings the best results.
Catherine

Lyme disease is a real problem in Europe, too, especially in central Europe - particularly Slovenia, Austria and the Czech Republic. Walking in woods can dangerous in some areas in certain countries, so it is even advised to wear a hood or cap with brim to stop them dropping on one's body. Dogs being taken for walks there should be protected with a dog coat or something like that. So it is far from just an American problem. Such "risky" woods and forests are normally known by locals, but tourists sometimes do not know.

Regarding removal of ticks, as Tobi has correctly pointed out, the body of the tick must not be squeezed or forcefully removed; this risks leaving the legs inside the body of the dog (or human). That, in turn, can lead to infection, especially as toxins are released if the tick is removed too crudely.

We used to use two methods with Puce, and depending upon the tick and its resilience, one or both brought about success:

1) First line of defence: Put the strongest alcohol you have on the tick. They hate this, and often drop off their own accord. Strong whiskey often works, but extra strong pure alcohol works best.
2) If the above does not work, then cut a small V shape in a flat plastic spoon with a short handle - the sort of smallish flat plastic spoon that they used to give for ice-creams in cinemas (Do they still? I haven't been to a cinema for years!). Here is a picture of what I mean: http://www.wfdenny.co.uk/images/11805.jpg Then put the V gently around the neck of the tick, between the body of the tick and the body of the dog. Do not pull straight away; turn the tick gently clockwise and anticlockwise several times, thus loosening the legs. Then gradually try pulling the body, not too forcefully. If this does not work, repeat the clockwise and anti-clockwise turning. Then repeat pulling, this time a bit stronger. (The above turning technique should not, however, be used if you are using tweezers).

Vets use a special device, similar to the one you can buy commercially: http://www.bada-uk.org/correct-tick-remo...moval-tool

But the ice-cream plastic wedge with a V cut out costs much less! As Tobi says, if the tick is removed very quickly the risk of Lyme Disease is massively reduced.
They definitely still use those little spoons for ice cream and also frozen yoghurt. I think I still have one. If I encounter ticks I will make a tick removal tool right away. I have never seen the fancy tool, but then I have never looked.

We had terrible tick troubles in Manitoba, but no Lyme Disease. We always de-ticked ourselves after a walk in the woods. We never let one attach itself. (I shudder just thinking about it.Confused)

I am surprized at just how many places have trouble with Lyme Disease. As the climate changes with global warming, the problem will get worse. We are going to need to be much more vigilant about ticks and doctors are going to need to learn the symptoms of Lyme Disease and really watch for it.
Catherine