Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
End animal testing of cosmetics
It seems there is a big push to end animal testing of cosmetics.
It has always seemed like the strangest thing that we persist in killing and maiming animals so we can look more "beautiful". If you know that your perfume has caused the death of many animals, how can you think that you smell nice when wearing it.

http://www.hsi.org/issues/becrueltyfree/...k=40205154
If only we looked like the reality. That would end the slaughter soon enough.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Such cruel testing is already history in Europe. It's sad that it has taken so long to get it abolished elsewhere.
Testing products -of anything -on animals chills me to the bone.
I heard that L'Oreal had stopped animal testing....
But I found a pretty long list of animal tested products many of us use daily here:

http://www.mediapeta.com/peta/pdf/companiesdotest.pdf

This list was apparently updated 10th May 2014. Companies marked with a black diamond-shape on the list are currently suspending animal testing, but may return to it!

The list is WAY too long, and very frightening when you think of animals trapped in cages being forced to ingest/inhale/have rubbed on their skin -all these products. Also consider that some of these animals have a highly acute sense of smell.....horrific.

Terrible especially considering I have a L'Oreal hair conditioner in my bathroom, and use Arm & Hammer toothpaste and didn't realise.....

It seems the only way around this is to jump aboard any current petitions demanding an end to animal testing. And in the meantime buy from the health food store, or obtain a list of products not tested on animals.....
I'll be back with that a.s.a.p.
A list of companies that DON'T test on animals
Link here:

http://www.mediapeta.com/peta/PDF/companiesdonttest.pdf
Quote:Such cruel testing is already history in Europe. It's sad that it has taken so long to get it abolished elsewhere.

Good for Europe that it is so enlightened. Let us hope that it spreads to the rest of the world.

Thanks for the lists, Tobi.
I shall have to study them. I don't use too many of the bad products, but I see I am going to have a toothpaste problem. I need the sensitivity toothpaste and I think all the brands are on the bad list.

A lot of the cleaners I have already rejected as being unfit for human use. Laundry detergent could be a problem. Since there is still testing in North America, most of our available products are suspect. This is going to take some thinking and more study. We should look for petitions to try and influence companies.
Catherine

I understand that problem Catherine. I used to have sensitive teeth, and used Sensodyne (recommended by the dentist -and it worked well)
Now I don't bother with it any more and my teeth seem okay (fingers crossed!)
Anyway, I found out that TOM'S (of Maine) don't do animal testing, also their toothpaste is free from Fluoride! They do a toothpaste for sensitive teeth (have no idea if it works or not.....probably does.)

Tom's is great because it's definitely available in the UK though usually in health food stores. It might be obtainable in Canada?? Usually if there's something I want that I can't find in a store, I get it from ebay or Amazon. Their delivery times are excellent, and sometimes on Amazon there's free postage! Depends....
I am going to have to do some searching. I need to go over the lists carefully. There are safe products that are not on the no testing list. They couldn't possible list every company in the world. I stick with the same products regularly when I find something animal friendly.

I could look up the local companies and Canadian branches of some companies. There are different regulations in different areas. Canada is not the worst in this area, but it is also not the best. I like to think we are improving. Are products are more environmentally friendly. Now we need them to be animal friendly.

I can't do without the special tooth paste. I did not want to use it, but the alternative doesn't work either.
Catherine