Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Halal butchers starting to accept humane killing
This is something that is just starting. Animal rights campaigners in Turkey have been working to convince religious leaders and butchers that stunning an animal before killing it, is not only humane, it is also Halal. This is not going to happen quickly, but some people are accepting what the animal rights people are teaching.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/...-activists

In many ways this is a big break through. Up till now humane methods of killing have not even been considered. Even if it is just a few people in one country, it is a start. It is the kind of thing that can spread. It is acceptable to kill humanely. Once people see the truth of that there is no reason not to do it. They are not being asked to give up killing animals. They are just being asked to cause less suffering. It could catch on and spread.

Of course once you admit that it is good to cause less animal suffering the obvious conclusion is that it is better to cause no animal suffering.

This is a small victory, but from small victories can come larger ones if we persist in pushing for animal rights and animal protection.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I am glad to hear this. It is a small step in a direction towards less animal suffering. One day because of all these small steps, maybe our minds will be completely changed.
Quote:I am glad to hear this. It is a small step in a direction towards less animal suffering. One day because of all these small steps, maybe our minds will be completely changed.
I think our minds are already changing. A few years ago it would have been unthinkable for a Halal butcher to consider stunning an animal.

Maybe some day they will give up killing animals altogether. There are plenty of meat alternatives available. They are often healthier and in a hot climate they would probably keep better. I had chicken wings for dinner that were vegetable protein rather than meat and I couldn't tell by taste or texture.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine