Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dog rescued from hot car
In spite of all the talk about the dangers of dogs in hot cars, on Aug 13, someone left their dog in their car. The car was in the full sun. The sun roof open a couple of inches was the only ventilation. The dog was in a carrier on a wool blanket.  The police were called and they rescued the dog in time. The owner returned about 50 minutes after the rescue.
The owner has been arrested and charged with endangering an animal.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/dog-rescued...-1.5073521

I am glad the owner has been charged. Without the police intervention the dog would be dead. It would have died horribly of heat stress in a car that was like an oven.
How is it possible that someone still doesn't get it about dogs in hot cars. This happened in Ontario and every year some dogs die in hot cars. These tragedies are well publicized.  There are ad campaigns warning people about the dangers of hot cars. Are people stupid or do they just not care?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

If prosecution happened more often, then such cases might be rarer.
Quote:If prosecution happened more often, then such cases might be rarer.
I wonder if prosecution would help. I know publicity didn't make a difference. A woman brought her dog to a dog expo in Toronto. There was all kinds of talk about dogs in hot cars. On the way home she stopped to shop and left her dog in her car and he died. There was a lot of publicity and talk about what happened. She was heavily criticized.
It was probably only a week before someone else left a dog in a car and it died too.

Maybe serious charges and fines are the only way to reach people.
Catherine

It seems nothing can give people brains when they don't seem to have any.

And sadly, dogs have no control over the situation. They have to go where we take them in this world.

The woman had been to a meeting about dogs, and listened to talks about dogs in hot cars?
And then did that same thing herself because she "went shopping"?

Unbelievable.
Quote:The woman had been to a meeting about dogs, and listened to talks about dogs in hot cars?
And then did that same thing herself because she "went shopping"?

Unbelievable.
People could not believe she left her dog in the car. She drove all that way to a dog event. She seemed very focused on her dog. Then she left him in a car on a hot day.  People just don't believe the warnings apply to them. Other dogs die in hot cars, but their dog will be fine. They only plan to be gone a few minutes, but they don't pay attention to the time so it ends up being an hour.

What will it take to get the message across that any dog in a hot car is in danger. Cars get hot in a few short minutes. Even ten minutes shopping can be too long for the dog in the car. People leave their children too. Maybe  dogs need special collars that send a message to the owners cell phone warning them that their dog is too hot. It could have a built in alarm. If you fail to rescue your dog right away, the phone could blast a warning alarm or a shouted message about a dog in a hot car.

Or else cars could have a sensor that knows if there is a live being in the car. I f the temperature gets too warm it could blast a warning alarm.  The car could be programed to contact the police to tell them where the car is and how hot the car is. If they are quick they could save whoever in trapped in the heat.

There must be something we can do. People are not willing to take the danger seriously.
Catherine

When I was a child, there was an incident. A woman had her dog in the car, and stopped merely to post a letter in a post box. But on her way back across the road she got hit by a car and knocked unconscious.

By the time she woke up in hospital (someone called an ambulance) quite a long time had gone by. She had severe concussion so it took a while also to convey to others that her dog was alone in her car, where it was parked, which town, reg, no. etc.

The police did get to the car, but sadly too much time had passed and the poor dog had passed away. The doors weren't even locked.

That is such a sad story.
That is too sad. She certainly didn't mean to leave her dog. What happened to her was an unforeseen accident. The dog still died.

Maybe the lesson is that we need to start foreseeing possible problems. I never leave a pan on the stove unattended. I just went outside to pick some fresh mint and forgot and did some weeding. I boiled the potatoes dry and burned them to the bottom of the pan. It was an enamel pan and it melted to the stove burner.
The burner and pan had to be replaced. I am just lucky I didn't cause a fire. 

If it had been my pet in a car, my pet would have been dead. I didn't mean to forget what I was doing, but I did. If I had tripped in the garden and been  knocked out the result would have been the same. Unforeseen things can happen. Don't leave a pan on the stove and don't leave a dog in a car. Even to just cross the road is too risky.

That must have been so hard for that woman to find out that her dog was dead like that.
Catherine