Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dog shot in cold blood by priest
I was searching for information about Greek hunting dogs (for reasons I won't go into now) and stumbled across this appalling story. It shocked me in one way - and in another, it didn't.

You can read the sad story here: http://www.occupyforanimals.org/greece-p...patra.html

There is a Greek video with English subtitles here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cl6ANXP50c#t=12

I am struggling to keep a balanced composure in the face of such behaviour. A so-called "man of God" executing a dog with a shotgun for trespassing, despite the pleas of the dogs owner (I refrain from using the word "caretaker" in this case, as the dog was used for hunting and was not a pet).

Sadly, this is yet another case of hypocrisy from a representative of organised religion...and the priest didn't even have a gun licence!
How arrogant he was to shoot the dog. What a terrible attitude towards life and neighbours and any form of caring for others. The whole thing is outrageous. It is wrong on so many levels.
I bet the priest is not even fined for having an unlicensed gun.Angry
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I've had to rely on Google Translate, but it appears that Greek monks and priests living in a monastery cannot be prosecuted directly by the police under Greek law, as it is a bit akin to the old idea of "sanctuary" here in the West. The permission of the bishop governing the monastery must be given first, in order for the police to take action. As far as I can ascertain, this permission was not granted, so no action was taken, apart from confiscating the unregistered shotgun.
(05-13-2014, 08:29 PM)LPC Wrote: I've had to rely on Google Translate, but it appears that Greek monks and priests living in a monastery cannot be prosecuted directly by the police under Greek law, as it is a bit akin to the old idea of "sanctuary" here in the West. The permission of the bishop governing the monastery must be given first, in order for the police to take action. As far as I can ascertain, this permission was not granted, so no action was taken, apart from confiscating the unregistered shotgun.

All callous acts devoid of love and compassion will require redemption. One day -in one way or another that man will have to face what he has done.

It is so sad that those who are supposed to work in the name of Jesus Christ can do things Jesus would never have done.
I agree with you fully. Even though the priest cannot be prosecuted, somewhere somehow this will come back to him.

If the good we do bears fruit, then it must follow that the bad we do also bears fruit.
And you are right, Jesus would not have shot the dog. So why would one of his representatives shoot a dog? Answer: the man does not represent Jesus, for all he is proud of his status, he in no way represents Jesus.
Catherine

'I never knew you'...

Faith without charity is dead. Love is the fulfilling of the Law.
Heart It is our deeds, the accumulated acts of goodness and kindness that define us and ultimately are the true measure of our worth. Service is the coin of the spirit.Heart

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
It certainly was a cold uncharitable action, from a man with no heart.

I feel for the man who lost his dog. He must feel very helpless and frustrated.
Catherine

What is a priest doing with a gun anyway?

And the owner was 'training' the dog for killing other animals, so he isn't blameless either.

If he'd kept the dog merely as a pet and companion, it would still be alive.

A tragic (for the dog) circle of events. And a lesson on the circle of violence.
Heart It is our deeds, the accumulated acts of goodness and kindness that define us and ultimately are the true measure of our worth. Service is the coin of the spirit.Heart

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
I asked myself the same question. Why would a priest have a gun?

You live by the gun, you die by the gun, but sadly in this case it was an innocent dog that died.
Catherine