Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
French President bans glue trap hunting
I have never heard of glue trap hunting. I had to look it up and now that I have I can't believe this was ever allowed.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20191119/bid-to-...-songbirds

How is this even considered hunting. It is just dangerously damaging birds. Why would anyone hunt a song bird anyhow?

The method of using glue traps to capture birds has been banned by the European Union. The European Commission is now pressuring France to stop the practice. 
President Macron has ordered hunters to stop using glue traps on birds.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53930797

Conservationists favour the ban and hunters oppose it. 

It is important to note that the practice of glue trapping has been suspended for a year. It has not actually been banned.

https://www.fr24news.com/a/2020/08/franc...rds-4.html

That means the practice could be resumed next year.

Hunters defending the practice claim it is a traditional way of hunting. We have heard tradition as an excuse for many cruel practices. This is no different.
It is cruel. Birds suffer and are terrorized by being trapped in the glue. Other birds are trapped and can suffer injury or die. It is time this method is completely banned.
Hunting song birds should be banned anyhow. Our current experiences with a pandemic that was transmitted by using wildlife as food, should be a warning against the practice of trapping and eating wildlife. That plus the declining number of song birds should be enough reason to stop this practice everywhere, permanently.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I was going to post about this issue, but didn't have time and you beat me to it. All that you have written is correct. This appalling practice only takes place in a part of the SE of France (PACA region). However, like in the USA, the gun-toting, hunting lobby is very strong and is not easily overcome.

The animal welfare organisations and most of the French population - outside of the PACA region - are opposed to this glue trapping. A one year ban is better than nothing. It gives time for the fight for a permanent ban to gain momentum. Before the expiry of that year, in any event, the EU will probably force France to ban glue hunting altogether. Long live the EU!
Yes the glue trap method of hunting is dreadfully cruel. It is very similar to the "Larsen Traps" used in the UK (no for hunting, but to "cull" Corvid species.)

Tradition has a lot to answer for.

A one-year ban is better than nothing. Let's hope opposition will mount in that year, and these traps will be banned.
I was shocked to hear about hunting with glue traps. I can't imagine anyone defending it. Of course we still have leg hold traps in North America and many people defend them. I know supposed animal lovers who wear fur from coyotes caught with leg hold traps.

I am glad the glue trapping only takes place in a small area of France. Maybe a one year ban will be enough  to change things.  It would give the EU time to act. 

I am tired of tradition being used as an excuse for things that should never have been done in the first place. If an action is clearly wrong, how does calling it a tradition make it right. Is it wrong to trap a small animal on glue and cause it pain and distress? I would be uncomfortable around anyone who does not see such cruelty as wrong.  I think we humans need to look at all our traditions and see if they are products of a much more barbarous time. Human history is full of shockingly cruel things. We need to leave them all behind. We are better people than that or at least we should want to be better.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine