Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cargo ship with 6000 cattle on board capsized
A shipment of dairy cows was sailing from New Zealand to China. It encountered rough weather and some mechanical problems and it capsized. All that has been found are three crew members and some dead cows floating in the water.  Everyone else appears to be lost.
Not one cow has been found alive. The other 40 crew members are missing as well.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-zealand...1599219050

After a horrible voyage under poor conditions it is unthinkable what happened to 6000 cows. They had  no chance at all. When the ship went down, they went down. Too many times something like this has happened. Live transport of animals is an act of animal cruelty 

New Zealand has done the right thing. They have suspended live transport for now. Hopefully when they review the situation they will make the ban permanent. 
No more animals should die, trapped in pens on sinking ships.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(09-07-2020, 04:49 PM)Catherine Wrote: New Zealand has done the right thing. They have suspended live transport for now. Hopefully when they review the situation they will make the ban permanent. 
No more animals should die, trapped in pens on sinking ships.

Well said, Catherine!

NZ has a female PM, who is a pretty compassionate sort of lady. Let's hope she will push for the ban to become permanent.
Quote:NZ has a female PM, who is a pretty compassionate sort of lady. Let's hope she will push for the ban to become permanent.
She is amazing. Every situation she responds to, she does the compassionate thing.
I think it is clear that live animal transport is  cruel. When animals travel by ship there are so many things that can go wrong. Far too many animals die horribly.
I think we can hope for better days and a ban on live animal transport. None of us want to hear about hundreds, even thousands of animals  drowning while in transit.

Some day their needs to be a global ban on shipping animals. It would help if New Zealand passed a ban. Other countries would follow in time.
Catherine

Any update on this? Has the practice been banned?
It's one of the cruelest animal-related accidents that I've ever heard of.
I haven't been able to find any more news, but one thing is certain. All the cows died and most of the people.
Catherine