Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Music makes a cat braver!
A little anecdote from my everyday life.....

I am on pretty permanent cat-sitting duties. That is -for two years now!!
Let's disregard the 'owner' for a moment -that person who has gone away for an indefinite time, and who once asked me if "I would feed the cat for a couple of months".....
Let's also disregard the fact that the cat isn't the slightest bit interested in coming to live at my place. (1/4 mile away) Although we tried it, she was utterly dismayed by my attempts to offer her hospitality....She sat scrunched up and howled until I took her home.....

Let's just live in the moment. The cat is happy as heck. I visit her twice a day, spend time, have fun and games, and make sure she gets some love and affection. She is also extremely healthy.
She likes her independence. But also likes to know she isn't quite alone, and has someone she can relate to.

The one thing she doesn't like is her neighbour's cat! She hates his guts.
When he appears, she shrinks, she tries to creep away, she is scared of him. I have told her "Don't behave like prey. He will chase you if you do. Act tough. Like you OWN the place! Like you are taking no nonsense from HIM!"
But she doesn't speak English.....

So I whistle her a tune. I used to be able to sing really well, but can't do that any more. But my 'voice' seems to have gone into my 'whistle' -and it's not too bad!
We started with Beethoven, then progressed to Chopin Mazurkas (Some technical difficulties with whistling Beethoven's 9th Symphony but never mind...)

Now instead I just make up tunes. They sound a bit Irish or Scottish. Some are very nice and atmospheric.

And when I whistle a tune, she stands up against the neighbour's cat! She shows him who is boss. She doesn't run away or look scared. I don't say anything -just stand there and whistle. Whistling her some music always makes her purr, and then she becomes brave!
The situation is really interesting.
A two year cat sitting job, wow, you are very faithful to your duties.
Too bad the cat won't live with you, it would save a lot of trouble,
cats are conservative, they do not like change.

Interesting that the cat responds to music the way it does. Even more interesting that you thought of trying music in the first place.

What made you think of it. I have used music to calm animals, I never thought of it making them braver.

Does the cat like the whistle better than the singing. Whistling is different. I am impressed that you can whistle like that. My whistle just sounds like noise.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(05-17-2014, 12:05 PM)Tobi Wrote: But she doesn't speak English.....
Perhaps she speaks Catonese! 79

(05-17-2014, 12:05 PM)Tobi Wrote: We started with Beethoven, then progressed to Chopin Mazurkas (Some technical difficulties with whistling Beethoven's 9th Symphony but never mind...)
How about whistling my favourite on the piano: Polonaise in A Major op. 40 no. 1 by Chopin? That is so stirring, she might even stand up to the other cat by herself! (The piece is called "The Military"!) Smiley4

(For anyone interested, here it is on YT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC9-35ZPKn8 )

It is very noble of you to look after someone else's cat like that. Many blessings to you for such kindness!
I absolutely love that Polonaise by Chopin! It is one of my forever favourite pieces. My Dad was an excellent pianist. I remember hearing him rehearsing that -struggling with it, then breaking through with success. Earliest memories of childhood!

A bit tough to whistle though.....hahaSmiley29

If I can find a way to play that for her on a CD or something, then that tune would be a first-class one for making cats brave! Mr Ginger-Cat-Next-door wouldn't stand a chance! LOL

I think the reason I found out the cat liked music is -one day it was a rainy day and grey, and I felt a bit bleak and freezing cold, so whistled up a tune to make myself feel better. I seem to remember it was some classical piece. (Can't recall what.) The cat responded immediately, purring and kneading her little bed, then meowed, and stared at me.

This happened every time I whistled her a tune. The reason I started to whistle when the next door's cat came around on the prowl, was basically so she might feel less worried and relax a bit. I didn't expect it would make her brave! But it did!

I won't subject her to my singing. It would freak her out. I damaged my vocal cords shouting from the top of a hill once, to prevent Jet (Misty's friend) from running in the direction of a man's property. Jet wouldn't listen. He was racing after a rabbit, so I had to shout very repeatedly and loudly. The man had threatened to shoot him if he saw him on his property. I could not sing after that.
Beautiful music, LPC, thank-you for sharing it with us.

Tobi I can see how your natural use of music would connect with the cat. Music can reach us at an emotional level. It made her feel calm, safe and comforted. When you used music while she was scared, it just made her feel a bit calmer and safer and it helped her to be brave.

Bravery is not a lack of fear, but the ability to overcome fear. Music helped her to do that. It makes you wonder what else music can do.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine