Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More remarkable migrations.
A Great Blue Heron with a GPS tracker has been giving observers a bit of a thrill. Harper is an amazing migrator is doing things other Herons have not tried. She followed the winds out to sea and traveled further and faster than expected. Her trips north to Canada were a surprise as well. Whether her migrating skills give her an advantage remains to be seen, but they certainly take her places.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-bruns...-1.5766192

I wonder, if they could track all the Great Blue Herons in the area, What kind of migration patterns would they see.  The whole idea of migration is interesting.
Not all animals do it. Those that do, seek better weather all year round. Some animals stay behind and cope with the weather. Other animals hibernate.
Do you ever wonder why this pattern of migration has established itself in some species. It is a lot of energy to fly that far and it is not without some dangers.

Some humans migrate. In Canada we call them snow birds. They pack up and go to Florida or Arizona for the winter. I am a non migrator so I look upon it as strange. The snow birds totally disrupt their lives twice a year so they can avoid a little cold. I am always looking for better winter coats and better winter boots so I have a good supply and can handle the winter weather. I have multiple sets of scarves and gloves and thick winter socks. Bring on winter and I am ready.

I wonder why we are different?  I wonder why Harper has a different migration pattern from the other herons. Clearly there is still much to learn.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine