Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rescuing a hunting cat's (live) brunch...
....Plus added side effects of aforementioned deed.

There is a big hunting cat who loves to hang out in my garden. He actually lives at a neighbour's house, up the lane, is cared for there, and fed perfectly well. But he prefers his wild ways.

This morning he caught a baby rabbit. Then when he saw me, he dropped it, to come over to say "good morning" to me.
The little rabbit held very still and was terrified. He gazed up at me as the cat rubbed himself all over my legs, purring and meowing. Before the cat could go back to it I made a sudden lunge for the baby rabbit and swept him up very carefully and gently into my hands. It seemed uninjured, just shocked. I carried the baby over my bridge to the field and let him go in some shade. He made for cover quickly.

Then the cat became very upset. He besieged me and my house for at least an hour, trying by any means he could find to get into the house -howling, meowing, calling, scratching at windows..... I talked to him from an upstairs window asking him to call off the siege! I told him to go home, where he would get well fed and wouldn't need to kill the little rabbit.
I could see him trying to think of ways to climb up to the bedrooms!
He was convinced his "brunch" was in my house!

Eventually I got out of the house, and he bit my (bare) legs! ouch.....
Then I led him on a merry dance all down the lane, sure that he'd give up and go home -but no such luck! Even meeting two Golden Retrievers didn't put him off. I found sanctuary in a neighbour's house. When I told him I was being stalked by a hunting-cat he laughed at me! The cat went home after the neighbour started to wash his car with a hosepipe. That took two hours.
Eventually the coast was clear and I could make a dash for home.

Another Cat-Drama Of The Day. Confused
You do have an interesting life. You saved the baby rabbit from immediate harm. You also served as a decoy to lead the cat away from where you left the baby.

I just can't believe that the cat persisted that long. I would have expected him to give up after 5 minutes and go home for some regular food or go in search of something else to bother.

You do meet the most interesting animals.
I hope the baby rabbit was okay. Undecided
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Bless your heart for saving the rabbit. Wasn't that just like you....

Maybe keeping a plant mister handy would be a good idea. Just in case Catzilla is still nursing a grudge.
Heart It is our deeds, the accumulated acts of goodness and kindness that define us and ultimately are the true measure of our worth. Service is the coin of the spirit.Heart

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Yes I also hope the little rabbit was okay. Wild animals will often behave as if nothing is wrong with them, when under threat, but shock can get to them when the danger has passed.

I understand that the cat's usual ways involve hunting for food. He's only following his natural tendencies. He doesn't really need to -as he gets fed! But it is natural for him to hunt, and he does a lot of it.

But if I'm on the scene, and can help the cat's 'prey' I just have to.

He is a very tenacious cat with a good memory! I think I will wear jeans today! LOL

Yes Knight....a plant mister is an excellent idea. I don't think he would like being "misted" ! I think he would go away if misting was on the agenda! haha
A plant mister might be the right "weapon" for you. Most things will back away from being sprayed. I am sure the cat has not forgotten so he might be waiting for you. Added bonus, if you run across something that is thirsty you can help out as well.

Cats will be cats, but you can't just stand by and not help a baby animal in trouble. I rescued a baby starling from a cat one evening. By the time I had the bird safely in hand it was dark so I had to bring the little one in for the night.
I went out at dawn the next day and set him down in the garden. He gave a cry and a mother starling in a nearby tree gave a cry of joy and came down to get him. She had waited all night worrying about him and refused to leave the area where she had last seen him. It was a sweet reunion.Heart
Catherine

You did a good job rescuing the bird, Tobi. I humbly apologise, but the rest of the story made me laugh - especially when you said that you were chased by the cat to a neighbour's and had to stay there two hours! A victim of feline outrage, LOL! That cat must have been quite upset about his brunch disappearing, for him to follow you all that time. The mister seems like a good idea to defend yourself from such a cat.

But as some Americans say, "You done good".
Oh Catherine! That is an amazing happy ending to what could have been a sad story! What a lovely thing you did rescuing the Starling. It just goes to show how a small kind deed like that an have such a deep meaning to another. (the Starling AND his mum!)

Yes of course, hunting is their natural instinct. I don't begrudge them that. I know a band of truly feral cats who get shelter at the farm in the barns there. They live -completely -by hunting.

But MY hunting-cat gets fed where he lives, and I happen to know his caretaker cares about him! Fair enough. Baby rabbit was not on the menu for him the other day!

I saw him again yesterday, by the way. He appears to have forgotten about it all now...He greeted me, then went on his way. (no 'misting' required! LOL)
Quote:I saw him again yesterday, by the way. He appears to have forgotten about it all now...He greeted me, then went on his way. (no 'misting' required! LOL)
Has he forgotten or is he waiting until your guard is down. Cats can be sneaky.

Rescuing the little Starling was something I just had to do. He had hidden under some paint cans and was screaming for help while the cat tried to get at him. I cleaned him up and kept him safe all night. What I did not expect was the mother waiting in hope of seeing her baby again. Her cry of joy when I put him down and she saw him, that is a memory I will treasure. Heart Smiley19Heart
I restored a child to a grieving mother. It was beautiful
I love the Starlings. They are active and alert and they pick the bugs off my plants. I think of it as a free gardening service.19
Catherine

What lovely rescue stories.
I know cats will be cats but they do seem to enjoy the hunt and torture of their prey.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
That is a beautiful rescue story Catherine! I am just so glad there was a happy ending. Sometimes when I have tried to save wild birds, they have not survived. Same with a little mouse....
Actually, the mouse was doing okay for a few days....then he got pneumonia (I think -as his breathing was bad)

Yes Cibach, I often wonder why cats don't make a clean kill? I have never observed a feral cat hunting, but wonder if a feral cat may kill quicker, and not 'play' with its catch? It might be that domestic cats still retain the hunting instinct, but are too well-fed to really care if they eat it or not...