Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let the dogs go! Dogs held because they might be pitbulls...or not.
Ontario has breed specific legislation that bans pitbulls. Any pitbull that ends up with animal services ends up euthanized  or adopted out of the province.  Vaughan Animal Services has held several dogs lately because they questioned the breed of the dogs. All three dogs are mixed breed.  Ringo is a 12 year old golden retriever mix.  It is only because of pressure from Reform Advocates for Animal Welfare that Ringo was finally released tl his family.

Now the owners of Gamboa, a labrador retriever American Bull Dog cross, are fighting to get their dog back. Again Vaughan Animal Services has decided that the dog might be part Pitbull. So far no amount of proof has convinced them to let Gamboa go. They are also holding a dog called Kilo.
Reform Avocates for Animal Welfare have started another petition to get these two dogs released.

Currently a new bill has been introduced to eliminate breed specific legislation. Hopefully it will pass. 

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/vaughan-ont-w...-1.5172664

The legislation needs to pass. They also need to free the dogs they are holding. These dogs  are not pitbulls. They are family pets who are of various breeds and they need to be returned to their families. The legislation was wrong in the first place and  Vaughan Animal Services is way over stepping its authority. When the people presented paper work proving their dog's breed background, the dogs should have been released right away.

I hope the petitions work.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(11-04-2020, 05:17 PM)Catherine Wrote: https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/vaughan-ont-w...-1.5172664

Vaughan Animal Services is way over stepping its authority. When the people presented paper work proving their dog's breed background, the dogs should have been released right away.

I hope the petitions work.

I agree. It seems deciding if a dog is a "pitbull" or not depends on the personal perceptions of those who make the "rules". Presenting actual proof that the dog isn't a pitbull obviously is over their heads.
I have signed.
It isn't really clear what they mean by pitbull. The three dogs are mixed breeds so none of theem are actual pitbulls.
Also, when they banned pitbulls,  dog bites didn't stop.
Removing the ban is a reasonable action. 

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2019/11/19/o...-bull-ban/

I think it is possible that the bill will pass and the ban will be lifted. 
Sadly that  doesn't bring back the dogs who lost their lives for no cause.
Banning people's pets is never the solution.  Making people responsible for their pets  makes more sense. 
Sadly this all happened in response to a serious dog attack. The ban was a reaction not a well thought out plan.
Hopefully now reason will prevail and the ban will be lifted.
Catherine

I myself am scared of pit bulls..but, I think it is horrible if these dogs are being abused...All animals deserve love...
Cat Lover  Heart
The dogs are being held by animal control. They say the dogs are pitbulls, but the owners have papers saying they are not. This is all part of a struggle over pitbulls in Ontario. Some people wanted them banned and some people want the ban removed.

In this case, people just want their pets to come home.
Catherine