Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mink farm cull in Denmark
Covid 19 has been found on mink farms in Denmark. There are some issues of it being a mutated form and of transmission to humans.
The planned response is to cull the mink, all 17 million of them.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54818615

I don't know what shocks me more, the culling of 17 million mink  or the  fact that there are 17 million farmed mink in Denmark in the first place.
That is a shocking loss of life. I know they were destined to be killed for their fur anyhow, but this  is somehow different.

Everywhere mink are being culled because of Covid. Maybe this will be the thing that finally ends fur farming.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-52535075

Quote:Claire Bass, executive director of Humane Society International/UK, said in addition to animal suffering, the potential for disease spread is another reason for all fashion companies to go fur-free and for governments to shut down "this dirty trade".

"One of the lessons we must learn from Covid-19 is that we cannot carry on pushing animals to the limit of their endurance without serious consequences for both animal and human health," she said.

I couldn't word this better than Claire Bass did.  
Our Covid 19 crisis is the result of our treatment  of animals. Fur farming, factory farming, wildlife food markets and poaching have all had negative consequences for us. For our own survival we need to change. If we had treated animals well we would not be in the mess we are in now.

It is horrifying to think of 17 million  mink being killed, but maybe they will be the last for that area. It would make no sense to start up a new mink farming business. As mink farms close maybe they can reopen as a different kind of business.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It seems they are not going to cull the mink after all.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/...tion-fears

I don't think it is a scientific/medical decision. I think it is more an econimic one.  Killing the mink will effect an industry and the livelihood of mink farmers.
The original decicion to cull the mink was made to protect the potential spread of a covid mutation.
Either way the mink lose out. They will be kept in horrible conditions until they are killed for their fur.
Catherine

I agree. The so-called reprieve is not really a reprieve, because it means that the cruel farming of mink will continue as before. In other words, the suffering will continue - for financial reasons, not for health or welfare ones.
This is all about money. The well being of the mink is not being considered. The well being of the country is not being considered.
As long as there is money to be made from mink they will be kept in small cages and killed for their fur. The only way to stop this is stop buying fur.
If companies continue to sell clothes with fur on them we must stop buying from those companies. As usual the issue is money and it is the only was to influence the situation.
Catherine