Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Man's best friend - a scientific basis?
There should be no need to hurt any animal when doing DNA work. It just takes a few cells and they can be obtained painlessly.

What does worry me is the possibility of the genetic similarity leading to lab tests on dogs in the search for new drugs etc. Also the possibility of someone wanting to use dogs for organ transplants to humans. I think we are not similar enough, but that wouldn't stop someone from trying.

I would hope our genetic kinship would make us want to extend more rights to dogs. Of course we are slow to extend rights to all humans so dogs are not worse off in some ways.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I agree Catherine.
I do seem to see a trend, though. More people are considering the rights of others nowadays...whereas not so very long ago, even different human skin colours were treated so badly by others who happened to be different!

I am hoping this trend generally is leading to more awareness about how we treat other species.

I do think the personal bonds which people are experiencing with other species are helping to cause this change. I contribute to a pets' bereavement website, and there are numerous new posts per day. People who consider their animals- (dogs and cats mostly, but sometimes other species) -as family members and grieve their passing very much indeed.
Although this is painful for them, it is giving them the opportunity to open their hearts to another species, and widen their awareness about love for others.
Quote:I agree Catherine.
I do seem to see a trend, though. More people are considering the rights of others nowadays...whereas not so very long ago, even different human skin colours were treated so badly by others who happened to be different!

I am hoping this trend generally is leading to more awareness about how we treat other species.

I think there is a global grassroots movement in the right direction. It will be slow to develop because it comes from individual people changing their thinking. It will also be a real change since it is actual thinking that is changing. Laws imposing ideas do not change people. People with ideas do change laws.

Quote:I do think the personal bonds which people are experiencing with other species are helping to cause this change. I contribute to a pets' bereavement website, and there are numerous new posts per day. People who consider their animals- (dogs and cats mostly, but sometimes other species) -as family members and grieve their passing very much indeed.
Although this is painful for them, it is giving them the opportunity to open their hearts to another species, and widen their awareness about love for others.

People think of their cat and dog as a member of the family. So they do need to grieve a loss as much as they would a family member.
You are right about this now extending to other species of animals.

Losing Peter the Wonder Hamster was really hard. Smiley19 He was special. I was devastated when Joe No Toes, my first snake died of a stroke. Smiley19I have had so many losses.
That is why we have a Rainbow bridge section.

I am glad you are part of a pet bereavement site. I am sure it helps to talk about a loss to people who understand the loss. I think a pet loss is worse because our pets are part of our daily life. Everything is disrupted by the loss.
When you have nursed an aging/ailing pet it is even worse because you are so used to caring for the pet. Care giving is a habit and it is hard to let it go.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine