Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Race horses left to starve
This is such a mess. Even after reading the whole story, the only thing that is clear is that race horses need way more protection.

http://www.thestar.com/news/investigatio...breds.html

As far as I can tell, the horses are safe now, except for Little Man.
I hope someone can be charged, but it is hard to sort out who is responsible for what.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I found the story a little hard to unravel, with all the different names and responsibilities. But one thing is sure - anyone who abandons animals, ill treats them, or buys them for meat knowing that they are unfit for human consumption, has some lessons yet to learn: "karma has his number", as Knight would say.

Thank goodness there are some good, kind people in the article who spend time and money trying to save these race horses. It is a pity that horseracing is regarded as necessary at all. I have never been to a horse race in my life. If people didn't go to them, the industry wouldn't exist;
Horse racing is the 'sport of kings' apparently. It's a rich man's game, that's basically what they're trying to say, with much money awash and there is a good living to be made from it for those involved in breeding and training, certainly so when a winner comes through the ranks.
Unfortunately those who don't make the grade or who are past their best are callously discarded, usually ending up in the slaughterhouse.

I don't care for any of it, though I am pragmatic enough to realise that with so much money swilling round the 'sport' we won't be seeing the back of it any time soon. Though one thing that could be achieved is the industry cracking down on unscrupulous breeders like this fellow and putting some of the millions generated into care for unwanted and retired race horses. Granted it costs a lot to keep a horse, but the industry has a duty of care to the animals and I'm sure there is enough in the kitty to sponsor a sanctuary farm or two.
Heart It is our deeds, the accumulated acts of goodness and kindness that define us and ultimately are the true measure of our worth. Service is the coin of the spirit.Heart

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Quote:I don't care for any of it, though I am pragmatic enough to realise that with so much money swilling round the 'sport' we won't be seeing the back of it any time soon. Though one thing that could be achieved is the industry cracking down on unscrupulous breeders like this fellow and putting some of the millions generated into care for unwanted and retired race horses. Granted it costs a lot to keep a horse, but the industry has a duty of care to the animals and I'm sure there is enough in the kitty to sponsor a sanctuary farm or two.

My thoughts exactly. The main race horse in the story won over a million dollars and then he was sold off and he and his offspring ended up in bad circumstances. Surely a horse that wins that much has a right to expect his owner to keep him in comfort. He wasn't even really retired. He was a very good breeder.
The whole racing industry has made no provision for horses that do not win or who get too old to race. This is where they fail. Rescue groups run around behind the scenes trying to pick up the pieces.

Sadly for many horses it is too late.
We can only hope that Karma does indeed have the number of the people who do this to these beautiful animals.
Catherine

I don't know how anyone could leave these beautiful horses in this fix! Whoever is responsible. There is too much passing the buck. Someone should have at least gone in to look after them, and failed abominably, unable to do such a simple act of kindness.

Horse racing is yet another example of humans using animals for convenience and profit. And 'tradition' doesn't help because it conditions people against simple compassion. They don't exist to be our slaves, and then to be thrown aside.

Yes rescue groups do work hard to help, both with horses (whenever they can) and with greyhounds.
The whole animals for sport industry needs to grow up and be responsible. If we use an animal for some purpose we owe them a good retirement. If they are hurt they have a right to good care.

We do it for working dogs like police dogs and seeing egg dogs.
There are now strong Greyhound rescue groups. There are many rescue Greyhounds in my neighbourhood. It is wonderful to see them enjoying the good life.

Now we need to do the same thing for horses.
Certainly someone should have acted on the abandoned horses much sooner. As soon as it was obvious that he was gone they should have moved in to care for them. They certainly should not have been sent for auction to a slaughter situation. Angry
Catherine