Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
12 cool things about snowy owls
I found an interesting list of facts about snowy owls. There are many things about their feeding and migrating that I did not know. 
They have more chicks at a time than I would have expected. They can live longer than I expected. They certainly see farther than I thought was possible.
They really are a remarkable owl.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-ed...-1.5878876

This is a migration year for them so more of them have come south.
That leads us to a 13th cool fact. I saw a snowy owl for the first time this year.  I have wanted to see one for a long time and it was worth the wait.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

1. Some believe the white owl symbolizes wisdom and endurance.
2. The Snowy owl is North American’s largest owl by weight due to their thick feathers for insulation. They are approx one pound heavier than a Great Horned Owl and twice that of a Great Gray Owl.
3. The Snowy Owl can be found represented in Paleolithic cave paintings in France.
4. Some North American Snowy Owls remain on their breeding grounds year-round, while others migrate in the winter. Some, returning to the same site year after year.
5. The oldest known snowy owl was a female that was almost 24 years old.

6. Global warming is thought to be at the forefront of the fragility of the snowy owl’s existence.
7. Snowy owls have white thickly covered toe feathers, while the claws are black. Their toe feathers are the longest known of any owl. 
Snowy Owls are amazing. When I said I saw one, I actually saw it in the city. All the times I have been out there hiking in places you would expect to see a Snowy Owl and I finally saw one in a big city.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine