Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PETA calls for us to stop using animal names as slurs
Quote:I had to look up those contests and events on the net. Are these legal in the USA?! Apparently there have been complaints and investigations by the police, but "no infraction" was found! It would be totally impossible in Europe, on the grounds of animal cruelty. What about Canada, Catherine?
I think something like the turkey drop would not be allowed in Canada. We do still have rodeos and every year some horses die in the chuck wagon races.
We still bludgeon baby seals to death on the ice before they can even swim. We did stop killing the fluffy white newborns. We let them live a few days, then we bludgeon them. I first heard about the seal hunt when I was ten. I was sure this would be stopped. It is so obviously cruel and wrong. Now, 56 years later, the seal hunt still continues even though there is little market for baby seal fur. Why do they still do it?
I have never heard of an event where animals are dropped to their deaths.

I think some of these events are legal in the USA. Each state would have different laws.
I can't imagine why they drop the turkeys from an airplane. It is clear by now that they can't fly. It doesn't take much of an imagination to figure out how the turkeys feel. Their frantic attempts to fly and their ultimate failure are clear signs of their distress. What kind of pilot would do this? What kind of people would watch this?
This is an event that should be protested.

I am glad the turkey drop is protested. We need to fight these things.  
However the impact of the protest is lost if the same energy is given to protesting Groundhog Day. No groundhogs are hurt or even distressed in the celebration of Groundhog Day. It is really very harmless.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I quite agree, Catherine. Groundhog Day is relatively harmless. PETA should concentrate on the "hard" cruelty issues and also put its own house in order, especially the euthanisation of perfectly healthy dogs and cats, just because they cannot be found homes quickly enough or are unadoptable.
Quote:I quite agree, Catherine. Groundhog Day is relatively harmless. PETA should concentrate on the "hard" cruelty issues and also put its own house in order, especially the euthanisation of perfectly healthy dogs and cats, just because they cannot be found homes quickly enough or are unadoptable.

This is it exactly. They are not good at focusing on serious issues. They react to any human/ animal interaction as if it were a serious problem.
There is no need for them to euthanize healthy animals. There are shelters all over that can take in more animals. There are groups that are willing to transport the animals. Right now they act as if they are the only ones who care about animals and they are the only ones who do it right.  It would be better if they learned to work with other groups. There are often multi-group efforts when there is a big rescue happening. We are all on the same side here. We can help each other.
PETA has a lot of zeal and that can blind them to the good that others are doing.

They still do a lot of good and they do make people think, or at least they make them uncomfortable.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine