Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PETA calls for us to stop using animal names as slurs
I think how we use words influences our attitudes. You are right, Trump uses the word dogs as an insult and a degrading term. It is noticeable that he does not have a dog. He doesn't respect them. He doesn't even like them.

So many human insults involve the use of an animal name. 
We call a person we think is stupid a bird brain even though most birds are intelligent. They can fly long distances and return without a map. They leave at the right time and return at the right time. Some of our Canada Geese have figured out that they can safely stay for the winter. So they stay. Why put all that energy into flying south if you don't need to. Why risk a trip like that.  They have changed their behavior as the climate has changed. That is not a sign of stupidity, it  is a sign of intelligence. They changed their behavior as the conditions changed. A lot of humans don't do that.
So why do we use the term "bird brain" to call someone stupid? We think birds are stupid. We are not intelligent enough to actually look at birds and figure out how clever they are.

That is just one insult. There are many of them.

PETA is a bit problematic. It is a big complex organization. Some of what it does is good and some is bad.
Some of the accusations against them are justified and some are not. 
Some of their members are solid steady people who work for the wellbeing of animals. 
Some members are over zealous and even unreasonable. They sometimes do more harm than good. 
Many of their campaigns are very good. Their methods can be a bit dramatic. They tend towards graphic images.
On the other hand the images are of things that are taking place.

It is very hard to find a balance between inaction and over reaction.
Also no large organization can control all its members. 

One defense I heard from PETA about euthanisations is the fact that when they are finally called in to rescue animals, they are often in very bad shape. If I can find the article I will post it.
Even No Kill shelters will do the kind thing and end the suffering of an animal that has no hope of survival.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Messages In This Thread
RE: PETA calls for us to stop using animal names as slurs - by Catherine - 02-02-2021, 03:53 PM