Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PETA calls for us to stop using animal names as slurs
Quote:Here’s an insult I like. I used to have a bumper sticker (I never used it) that said, “My dog is better trained than your lawyer.”

Oh I have a meme for this! I’m going to post it on my meme thread. It’s about positive self talk.
I like the bumper sticker. There are some lawyers out there that fit the saying.  I can think of one in particular. You might be able to guess who.
I can't wait to see the meme.

I think this campaign has merit, but it could have been presented in a way that would reach more moderate people. 
In some ways PETA has forgotten that people who are less  zealous can still be committed to animal welfare. 

An example is the subject of eating meat. PETA doesn't want people eating meat.  
I will mention the fact that I eat very little meat and some of my meals are vegan.
The right response is to encourage me with what I am doing.
The over zealous response is to confront me and ask why I don't give up the rest of the meat in my diet.
That doesn't motivate me to do more. It discourages me and makes me think, why bother.
The PETA response is the over zealous one.

One thing that has happened is that the very existence of PETA has an effect on people. When they are doing things to animals, they know that if PETA finds out they will react strongly and publicly. It is not a bad thing to have a group out there that makes people nervous when they are mistreating animals. 
A group like PETA is supposed to annoy people and be in trouble all the time.
I certainly don't agree with everything they do, but I can see where their campaigns can do a lot of good. Even their graphic theatrics do have the effect of shocking people and perhaps making them think.
They do make the more moderate groups look  reasonable and people are more likely to listen to the moderate groups because of that fact.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Messages In This Thread
RE: PETA calls for us to stop using animal names as slurs - by Catherine - 02-03-2021, 03:37 PM