Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two Alpacas injured in California fires finally go home
During the Lightening Complex Fire in California this summer a number of animals were injured and ended up at the University of California Davis campus. They had the facilities to treat the injuries and the trained staff. Two Alpacas, Apple Jack and Jasper, burned their feed badly. Apple Jack sustained what they call 4rth degree burns. It has taken 4 months to heal his injuries. Jasper recovered after a month, but stayed to keep Apple Jack company.  Now at last, after all these months of treatment they are both going home.

https://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/news/burn...ly-go-home

I am impressed with the care the two Alpacas received. Those were serious burns. The U C Davis staff never gave up on Apple Jack even though it took ,months for him to recover. It is sad that so many animals injured and many were lost. In particular 9 California Condors were killed.  I am just glad to hear that the injured were able to receive the medical help they needed. Well done U C Davis. All the best Apple Jack and Jasper.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

What delightful news, showing the dedication of the vet med students! The alpacas look fairly young to me. So that may have helped in healing a serious burn.
They do look young. That plus good care must have helped. I had no idea there were alpacas in California. I guess the dry California climate suits them.
Catherine

Alpacas are incredibly adaptive to different climates.
Quote:Alpacas are incredibly adaptive to different climates.
That explains why Alpacas can live well in California and Ontario. Ontario is hot and humid in the summer and cold and damp in the winter.
California has generally dry desert conditions. They have to irrigate a lot.
Catherine