Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dogs 'jumping up in greeting' constitutes a threat??
(09-14-2014, 09:04 PM)Tobi Wrote: The amended "Dangerous Dogs Act" came into force May 13 2014 in UK.

http://www.nawt.org.uk/advice/changes-da...ice-owners

Under the law "a dog does not have to bite to be deemed dangerous." ".....even if the dog does not bite, but gives the person grounds to feel that the dog may injure them, the law still applies."
This is open to so much subjective interpretation, that in my view, as it stands, it cannot be grounds for a law.
"....the Act also covers incidents on private property in addition to public spaces. This includes your own house and both front and back gardens."

While there are parts of the amended law that certainly make sense, this is open to all sorts of abuses and misinterpretation of dogs' behaviour. I have been 'jumped up on' by at least a dozen friendly lovely dogs since the 13th May....got mud on me....shared (ewww!) in whatever the dog had been rolling in...got licked....took it all in good part and came home and scrubbed my hands -just because of the way I feel about dogs. But to abuse this law, all it takes is a cantankerous person in their Sunday best, who hates dogs.....

(quotes from the webpage on N.A.W.T.)
This is going to cause a whole lot of trouble. There will be ridiculous accusations and charges. Everyone will suffer, especially the dogs.
Laws should not be ambiguous or so far reaching. It might make things worse. If everything dogs do is seen as dangerous, why bother to control your dogs. It will probably result in more animal attacks, not less.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

How absurd! I think a jumping [on people] dog is more of a case of bad manners than a danger.
Payne gets very excited when she sees new people. She will jump "around" a person but not "on" them. She was taught this at a very young age.
The only time I can see this as an actual 'danger' is when a large dog jumps on a small child and possibly knock them down, but deinitely not worthy of a law to incriminate the dog.
A dog gets excited when socializing, and jumping is one of the ways to release that excitement. Now if a dog is growling, snapping, and 'lunging" then it's a different story.
How about we try enforcing the laws we already have in place instead of creating new, even more ridiculous ones?
For example, where I live is not a "free range" state. Which means dogs are not allowed to roam. But really they are. I have had my chickens attacked and killed by roaming dogs. These dogs come in my yard and fight with my dog. Payne does her best to fight them off, but when defending herself from 2 dogs at once, she does sustain injuries. Try and get anyone to do anything about it though????
So Payne would be more likely to be considered a danger than these dogs because she loves people, gets excited, and jumps around........ Seriously????
[Image: m0223.gif] Come join the fun! [Image: m0218.gif]
mypetsonparade.com
Somebody somewhere got a bright idea about the dog laws. They did not think it through, they just pushed for a "better" law.
You are right. Your dog Payne would be seen as dangerous and the free roaming, chicken killing neighbour's dogs are not.

There are clearly people out there who do not like animals. When they are in positions of power and authority it is scary. They are the dangerous ones. Be careful who you vote for. Look what you might end up with.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine