Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dogs 'jumping up in greeting' constitutes a threat??
Yes, I know.

I agree that dogs' caretakers should teach them not to jump up on people. Little dogs can easily scratch legs badly -even in friendly greeting....and very large dogs can knock a person right over! I know a neighbour's German Shepherd, who is a great dog, a lovely character, and loves me to bits., but he is a particularly big dog for his breed, and easily weighs more than I do.
His greeting for me is very much, "Wow! It's so good to see you! Let's rub up against each other and then play!" His caretaker has stopped him launching his full weight up at me, but he still almost knocks me off my feet, even at ground level! lol I don't mind at all, and position my feet in a certain way to take his weight.
He can't help his size, or his happiness to see me.
But if I were a frail old lady, I could easily take a tumble....That could definitely be a threat to 'health and safety'. Yet that dog is one of the nicest I've ever met. It depends on the caretaker to move him inside if any possible danger is foreseen -and she does.

This law is awkward, and doesn't take account of many 'grey areas' about what constitutes a real threat. I think in many ways it is unworkable.

Yes -some people are phobic about dogs! And even the sound or presence of one can cause them great fear. What is this law supposed to do about that??

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dogs 'jumping up in greeting' constitutes a threat?? - by Tobi - 06-02-2014, 11:15 PM