Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spain bans wolf hunting
Iberian wolves are endangered and their numbers are low. They were still considered a pest animal in the 70's. Their numbers are slowly recovering and they cannot survive being hunted. The biggest push to kill them is from farmers who feel the wolves endanger livestock.
The wolves are also an apex predator and as such they serve to stabilize the ecosystem.  Healthy wolf packs keeping prey animals in balance would actually benefit farmers.  The government of Spain has chosen to ban wolf hunting. This ban will allow wolf numbers to grow. These wolves will benefit the ecosystem.  

https://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsan...of-wolves/

Places like Yellowstone Park in the USA have reintroduced wolves and have seen a positive effect on the ecosystem. Banning wolf hunting in Spain will give the Iberian wolves a chance to stabilize their ecosystem. It is beginning to look like the key to restoring an ecosystem is restoring the animals. In some places extinction makes that impossible, but we should still do the best we can. In some cases  it would be doing the best we can while we still can. There are many species and ecosystems that would benefit from a ban on hunting.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I am glad to hear Spain has banned wolf hunting. But I wonder if some of the old-school farmers might be so upset by this law that they will take the law into their own hands at times. Nevertheless more wolves will be saved this way.

Now if only Spain would be kind to its "Galgos" (hunting dogs) Unspeakable cruelties go on. But that is another story.
Quote:Now if only Spain would be kind to its "Galgos" (hunting dogs) Unspeakable cruelties go on. But that is another story.
I know. The wolves are just one small victory. Some farmers may still kill wolves and the Galgos deserve much better treatment.
There is still Bull Fighting as well. 
Still the wolves are a victory. Maybe other good will come from it.
Catherine

Glad to read that wolves will no longer be endangered in this country. It's a small victory, but still appreciable. I hope that other countries will follow to defend these beautiful wild animals.
I agree. Many other countries still need to act to protect their wolves.  Spain still needs to protect other animals. Progress is slow, but at least it is progress.
Catherine