Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new Big Five
The big five refers to the five most prized African  animals for big game hunters. They are the Lion, the Leopard, the Elephant, the Rhinoceros and the Cape Buffalo.
Wildlife photographer, Graeme Green, felt it was time we moved past that kind of thinking. It was time we chose a big five animals that we want to photograph. 
These animals would still be alive after we have photographed them. It represents a whole different way of dealing with animals. The theme of his campaign is shoot with a camera, not with a gun. There is a short list of forty animals people can choose from to vote for the top five.

https://www.independent.co.uk/stop-the-i...17013.html

This is brilliant. It is making us change our thinking about animals. The top five will no longer be associated with killing. They will be associated with pictures that are full of life. The urge would be to get pictures of these animals, not kill them. If this had been the attitude a few years ago, Cecil the lion might still be alive. 
The dentist might have gone with his camera to get a picture instead of a trophy. If pictures become the new trophy, then we can let the animals live. Some day no one will kill an animal as a trophy hunt. They will stalk the perfect photograph and post it for all to see. I hope that some day is soon. I am curious to see which animals will be labeled the new big five.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine