Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the paint work on this salmon model accurate and natural?
As an animal and wildlife enthusiast, I've been collecting various small resin, plastic and porcelain figurines of members of the animal kingdom. The latest "specimen" for the scale menagerie is this fish model. Note the running paint pattern along the sides of the model. The manufacturer of this plastic piece calls it a Salmon and it has the word Salmon molded into the belly. Can any fish person here tell me if the markings on this model are done accurately to represent and natural subspecies of salmon? Thank you.

I don't know how acurate the model is. It seems to be a Steelhead. There would be some variation in the species. I couldn't find a good picture to post.
Of course I was looking at west coast salmon mostly. It could be a different salmon from a very different part of the world. Do you know what species of salmon it is supposed to be?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(04-04-2021, 03:04 PM)Catherine Wrote: I don't know how acurate the model is. It seems to be a Steelhead. There would be some variation in the species. I couldn't find a good picture to post.
Of course mI was looking at west coast salmon mostly. It could be a different salmon from a very different part of the world. Do you know what species of salmon it is supposed to be?

I don't know. The manufacturer, or vendor, Safari Ltd.,  just has the model cataloged as a salmon. It was made in China. A fish scientist, ichthyologist, might know but I don't know any to ask.
I doubt it is totally acurate then. It wasn't sold as an example of a specific species of salmon. It generally resembles the steelhead, a common salmon.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine