Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barn fire kills 80 cows
Yet another barn fire. I think it is still burning as I type this. The barn was fully engulfed by the time help arrived.  The cattle in the burning barn could not be saved.  Only the buildings around them were saved. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ba...-1.6035359

Burning barns and animal deaths is an ongoing fairly frequent problem. That tells me that the fire codes for barns are not that good. There really needs to be a serious review of past fires and some clear recommendations on how to prevent future fires. A lot of barn fires are electrical in nature. Maybe barns need new standards for wiring and heating. Certainly there need to be fire doors and sprinklers. There also should be a plan to get the animals out alive. It is too heart breaking to keep reading about animals trapped in burning barns.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

That's so sad.
It is sad and it keeps happening. There must be something about barns that make them vulnerable to fire. There must be a way to change things to prevent fires.

Think of all the changes they have made in building codes for people's homes. Many fires are prevented. Many people survive because of a simple thing like a smoke detector. Do barns have smoke detectors? Would someone be alerted if the smoke detector went off?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine