Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scary Places
Think of scary places you'd love to have a big German shepherd or two. Or maybe you prefer Dobermans, mastiffs or even big Labrador retrievers.

Think of the 1981 film "Wolfen". Think of the south Bronx ruins of New York City. One man in one dark condemned building and the other in the other. Only connected by two-way walkie-talkie. A police stakeout for someone (or something) killing people. I can imagine myself only brave enough to walk into such a building without a human partner by my side like that with preferably two such police dogs by me and a drawn handgun to boot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r5CHX3m81I&t=9s

I want the likes of this big boy by me in scary places to keep any "big bads" at bay:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I am not familiar with the story. The link you posted doesn't work for me. 
The movie is 40 years old. If it was filmed in New York, it would be interesting to see how much the city has changed in 40 years.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(04-07-2021, 03:07 PM)Catherine Wrote: I am not familiar with the story. The link you posted doesn't work for me. 
The movie is 40 years old. If it was filmed in New York, it would be interesting to see how much the city has changed in 40 years.

The link is a copy/paste ordeal. New York City has, unfortunately, changed for the worse politically. It's also changed because the Twin Towers were seen in the 1981 film. I've never been to NYC and never had a burning desire to go there. I try to avoid entering all tall buildings, and large cities, at all costs. It's been my philosophy since the attacks of 9/11 that no building, including a home, should ever be higher than ground level, a single story. If there are too many humans in this world that floors need to be stacked vertically higher than one story, then man needs to seriously reduce his numbers by seriously throttling back on baby-making and unselfishly adopt needy children extensively. I prefer the tall things of nature as trees, hills, cliffs, giraffes, canyons and mountains. Native American huts and tepees never were higher than ground level. Man, Homo sapiens sapiens, is intended by nature to be much like the gorilla, dog, wolf, horse, sheep and giraffe: a ground dweller.
I was in New York in 1987.  I liked the city. I had fun with the subway system and I love the museum. I must have seen the twin towers, but I just don't remember them.  I love the view from tall buildings. 

I think some humans have a bit of their tree dwelling ancestors in them. I know some indigenous North Americans were actually cliff dwellers.  In some places living high up is the safest choice. Certainly in areas prone to flooding living above ground is a safe option.
Catherine

I prefer to live on elevated flat piece of land, like a plateau, or a very gentle slope, somewhat above sea level or flood plains for anti-flood measures. Still in a single-level home. Never too close to a cliff or on a steep hill side where mudslides can occur. Remember the fire, earthquake and terrorism dangers of multi-story buildings. 

But seeing those bodies fall from the burning Twin Towers on TV 20 years ago will always give me the creeps about being in tall buildings. I actually feel much more secure being high in a private plane or a helicopter to look down at the earth. I liked San Francisco many years ago when I visited. I don't like its Left politics or ungodly cost of living expense these days. I prefer to live closer to Mother Nature, small-town, suburbs or rural. Big cities are dangerous and costly in many ways. I hate New York's un-American anti-gun-rights laws. Only the criminals there are armed so good citizens can't shoot back. San Francisco is almost as bad these days. 

One must respect both gravity and water. Don't live too low or too high.
What happened to the twin towers was exceptional. Something like that is unlikely to happen again.
I figure there are dangers everywhere, but there is also safety.  We just have to plan for it. If I had to live in a tornado prone area I would make sure I had a proper storm shelter.  I live in a country that has cold winters. I have plenty of warm winter clothing and a heater if the furnace fails.

I like nature and I am very much connected to it, but I love my life in a big city like Toronto.  It really isn't dangerous. I can walk home or take the 24 hour bus at any time during the night,  because it is safe. I lived in New York for a month and I felt safe. I loved the subways system. New Yorkers were so helpful to me. They always seemed to know I was Canadian and they wanted to help. I have never been to San Francisco. I liked Los Angeles and San Diego. People were friendly and pleasant. I broke my glasses and an optometrist fixed them for free right away because I was traveling from Canada. Most cities I have visited are pretty nice and people are pleasant. If I use a little common sense, most places are safe.
Catherine