Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plastic dome lids injure and kill wildlife
Plastic dome lids are the lids on cold take out drinks that are dome shaped to allow room for whipped cream or toppings. They have a larger hole than a regular drink lid.  When they end up in landfill, animals come across them and stick their heads in the hole because they can smell the drink that was in the cup.  When they try to pull their head back out it gets stuck. Even if they can get rid of the cup, they are stuck with the lid around the neck. Skunks in particular seem to get stuck this way. Many suffer for some time before they actually die. Some are rescued in time. Without human help they cannot get free of the dome lid.

What we can do to help is remove the lid from the cup and cut it in half. Then there is no hole for the animal to stick its head in. There is nothing for it to get caught in.

https://www.guelphtoday.com/local-news/d...ly-3632800

I never thought about dome lids being a danger. I never buy anything that uses a dome lid, but I can make sure everyone around me cuts their lids in half.
This is just one more thing that we do that injures wildlife. Now we know that there is one more thing we can do to protect wildlife...from the danger we created.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine