Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A vet talks about the Rainbow Bridge
I liked the whole article, but what really struck me was the vet's attitude towards the Rainbow Bridge. In particular, he was so understanding about how hard it is to make the decision to end a pet's life. He clearly understands the bonds that we have with our pets

http://www.capebretonpost.com/section/20...nd-on-us/1

If only all vets had his caring approach to things.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

He's got it just right.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
An excellent article, written with insight, compassion and understanding. Not all vets love their job; for some, it is just a career. But this man stands out. A great find, Catherine.
This vet has a very understanding and compassionate approach; not only to the animals, but to their caretakers too. For almost everyone who has an animal companion, that 'person' is a very deeply-loved family member.
Some grieve far more deeply about the passing of an animal companion than a relative. The reason for that being that animals provide unquestioning love, support, friendship, and joy while they live. Love, without conditions. "I'll always be there for you no matter what" -kind of love. "I will even wag my tail for you when I'm dying."
That is very profound, and we know it.

For some people, indeed, their animal is like a child to them, and they grieve as deeply as if they had lost a son or daughter.

Some good vets can help the caretaker and animal towards the end of its life, and can support both during 'hospice care'. Sometimes an animal is dying from a terminal illness, but still has decent quality of life, and doesn't necessarily need to be put to sleep immediately the cancer or kidney failure diagnosis is received.

With the right support and medication, an animal can go on to complete its life as peacefully as possible, in the loving care of its family. A thoughtful and dedicated vet who really communicates with animal and caretaker can help a gradual transition from this world. That kind of vet will always be able to tell when 'enough is enough', and advise the caretaker.
A vet like that is a treasure. You could trust his advice. It is hard enough to deal with a loss without having to wonder if you are making the right choice. It is hard to know when it is time and when a possible treatment is just not the loving thing to do. A vet that is there for the pet and the people is a real find.

I thought the vet who wrote this article showed tremendous insight and real compassion. Just reading it made me feel better about decisions I made in the past.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine