Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newest addition
This little girl came with Rio the rabbit. She's about 18 months old, is a teddy and she walks with a limp. Apparently she's always had this limp. I'm naming her Jewel. At the moment she is in with my other sows and seems to be settling in okay. There's been no sign of aggression so far and that is a good sign.

[Image: DSC06303_zps316a24e5.jpg]
Ahh, she is so cute. Jewel is a perfect name for her. She is a cute fuzzy little jewel. She is a nice colour. Will you be able to breed her or is she too old? I am glad she is happy with the other girls.

So how did you find out about this piggie and her rabbit friend?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(06-08-2014, 04:03 PM)Catherine Wrote: Ahh, she is so cute. Jewel is a perfect name for her. She is a cute fuzzy little jewel. She is a nice colour. Will you be able to breed her or is she too old? I am glad she is happy with the other girls.

So how did you find out about this piggie and her rabbit friend?

It was my daughter who thought of the name Jewel, as in Rio, the movie. She is too old to breed so she will just live out her life with the girls. Strangely enough they give her a wide berth, I've gone in there and she is at one end of the cage and the rest of the girls are at the other.

The lady who owned them lives in Rugby, and it was earlier in the year that she contacted me on my Facebook Page and asked if I could rehome Rio. She just didn't have the amount of time needed to spend with him. I was unable to go and collect them for obvious reasons, and she never was able to deliver them here. So, I thought about the courier I had used recently and I put the idea to her. And, finally Rio and his buddy made it here.

I was in a bit of a dilemma about the guinea pig being in with the rabbit. It's against what I believe in. I would never put them together because a rabbit can seriously hurt a guinea pig. The lady told me that this guinea pig didn't get on with any other guinea pig which is why she was with the rabbit. At least she doesn't attack any of the other pigs, she just likes to be on her own but I don't have the space for her to have her own cage so she will have to get along with the other piggies. Smiley4
For awhile there was a TV commercial that had a rabbit living with a guinea pig. It was a cute ad, but they were not real animals. It gave people the idea that guinea pigs and rabbits could live together. Angry

I agree, a guinea pig is not safe with a rabbit. Those back feet can kick a piggie and seriously injure it. I wonder if her limp has anything to do with that.Huh

I wonder if the other guinea pigs are making strange with Jewel because they can still smell the rabbit on her. I am sure you will bond her with some of your girls eventually. She is so cute.Heart
Catherine

(06-09-2014, 02:53 PM)Catherine Wrote: For awhile there was a TV commercial that had a rabbit living with a guinea pig. It was a cute ad, but they were not real animals. It gave people the idea that guinea pigs and rabbits could live together. Angry

I agree, a guinea pig is not safe with a rabbit. Those back feet can kick a piggie and seriously injure it. I wonder if her limp has anything to do with that.Huh

I wonder if the other guinea pigs are making strange with Jewel because they can still smell the rabbit on her. I am sure you will bond her with some of your girls eventually. She is so cute.Heart

Jewel is actually a boy and not a girl. I've never had trouble sexing adult guinea pigs before but this one certainly had me fooled. I don't think he done anything while he was in with the girls except sniffing their bums, so hopeful there won't be any pregnant girls in there Confused I'm keeping his name as Jewel. Apparently his previous owner named him Pig Undecided

I was wondering whether that limp has anything to do with the rabbit, it probably does.
Smiley4I thought I was the only one who had trouble sexing things.Smiley4

Now you know why your girls were making strange with Jewel. I hope they continued to make strange. Can you use him as a breeder? He is a cute little guy.

The rabbit probably kicked him. Rabbits are stronger than guinea pigs in so many ways. Even the dwarf rabbits are stronger.
Catherine

(06-17-2014, 02:26 PM)Catherine Wrote: Smiley4I thought I was the only one who had trouble sexing things.Smiley4

Now you know why your girls were making strange with Jewel. I hope they continued to make strange. Can you use him as a breeder? He is a cute little guy.

The rabbit probably kicked him. Rabbits are stronger than guinea pigs in so many ways. Even the dwarf rabbits are stronger.

It happens to the best of us eh? Smiley4

I hope that he didn't get lucky in that cage, I'm fairly confident that he didn't. He seems to have trouble moving around with his limp never mind mating with a female. Besides, I have just rehomed Storm and she will be leaving tomorrow so I'm hoping that she won't be taking anything with her when she goes Confused
Quote:I hope that he didn't get lucky in that cage, I'm fairly confident that he didn't. He seems to have trouble moving around with his limp never mind mating with a female. Besides, I have just rehomed Storm and she will be leaving tomorrow so I'm hoping that she won't be taking anything with her when she goes Confused

Let us hope that Storm does not surprize her new family with a litter.

I am sure you have heard this story, but it bears repeating.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/1048327.stm

I am sure Jewel was not up to Sooty's standard. At least I hope not.Smiley4
Is his limp from a recent injury that might heal or is he always going to be limping.
Catherine

Sad news. Jewel died about a week ago. I haven't been able to post much because of family problems. Jewel had started to look really old for quite some time. No idea as to how old he actually was but I think he was getting on a bit. RIP Jewel xxx
I am sorry to hear about Jewel. I am sure he had a happy time with you. He must have been much older than you thought. That is the hard part of rehoming, you just don't really know how old the animals are or what their history is.
Farewell little Jewel, RIP. You really were a cute little fellow.

I have missed your posts, but I knew you were having problems that were keeping you busy. I hope things start to improve for you. I am too far away to help, but I am thinking of you.Heart
Catherine