Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baby raccoons reunited with their mother.
Someone brought in four "orphaned" baby raccoons to Guelph Humane Society. The little raccoons were in good condition and clearly well fed.  Their little stomachs were full.  The Humane Society didn't think they were actually orphaned. They went out at night to the place where the babies were found and successfully reunited them with their mother. Now they will have the best chance of survival. No one does a better job of raising a baby raccoon than a mama raccoon.

The Humane Society also reunited a litter of chipmunks with their mother.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/baby-raccoo...-1.5424795

The lesson to be learned here is that we should leave baby animals alone. Most of the time the mother is nearby. She is looking after them. She doesn't want us to feed her babies. She doesn't want us to take her babies. She knows what she is doing. If they are alone it is because she wants them to be alone for a while.
When we interfere it often ends badly for the "rescued" baby animal.

It is wonderful that in this case the babies were able to return to their mom. It is a perfect happy ending.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It is very fortunate and great news that the mother didn't reject them.
Sometimes it can be hard to tell if little ones are abandoned or not. The best plan if possible (and it isn't always) is just to keep an eye on them and see what happens, and not touch them.

Many wild mothers leave their little ones somewhere while they go foraging or hunting or just for a walkabout. Deer, for iinstance, do that. I have seen many fauns lying in long grass looking very alone, but I leave them be.
I keep watch a while and the mother calls to them, or she returns.

Wild creatures are terrified of us, to the point that a mother will reject her young. That is shocking. What is the matter with us for them to feel like that?
I know some wild animals are scared of us, but these were city raccoons. If you leave a window open they will come in and help themselves to food. My neighbours came home early and found a raccoon sleeping on their bed. They like to leave a window open and I bet the raccoon was sleeping there every day.
Baby raccoons are often left sleeping in someone's garage or under the verandah. Mom knows where they are and she comes back with food latter. She will take them on foraging trips to the best garbage cans on the street. She will even take them into someone's home and show them how to open a frig.   These fat little baby raccoons were not lost or orphaned.  I am just glad they could find the mom. She is the best one to teach them how to live in the city.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine