Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warning about dog treats
Even if they never sort out exactly why animals are dying, I think there is enough circumstantial evidence to make a caring pet owner want to be cautious.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/the-jerky-...-1.2670097

It must be heartbreaking to lose a beloved pet because of a treat you gave them. It is just like the tainted pet food scandal. I know of cats that died or were left with severe kidney damage. There is no way to absolutely prove which can of food caused the damage, but they know a lot of food was contaminated (intentionally for reasons of greed) and a lot of animals died. At some point that is enough evidence.

Good for Global Pet Food that they do not sell the products just to be on the safe side.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Thank you for posting this Catherine.

It's not just pet treats obviously from China either, which can be dangerous. This is a good article on what may go into our pets' treats:

https://www.pasadosafehaven.org/2012/02/...at-labels/

Propylene Glycol is often added to pet treats as a softener, despite the fact that Propylene Glycol is also known as ANTIFREEZE! And antifreeze is notoriously deadly to dogs, cats, and probably other animals, if ingested. Unbelievable?? Well yes it seems we are all in a bad dream sometimes when it comes to large companies and their love of profits!

What to do about it? Make your own home-made pet treats and biscuits.
....On that note....here's a recipe for dog biscuits!
"K9 Bikkies" (cooked by Tobi, often in the middle of the night....crunched up by Misty.)
Fine Oatmeal,
2 teaspoons Olive Oil, fish oil, or coconut oil.
Grated apple (remove core and definitely seeds)
Grated carrot.
(A little grated cheese can be substituted)

Mix ingredients all together, then add a little water to make a dough. This should be quite firm, like a bread dough.
Roll this out with a rolling-pin on a board 'floured' with some of the oatmeal. Can cut shapes with a cookie cutter, then place on a baking sheet or tin plate.

Bake on a very very low heat for either 40 minutes (maybe longer).....or as long as it takes them to just become slightly golden-brown. The ideal is they end up hard as a rock! Cool, and serve!

Beef Jerky strips can be made at home, and also thin strips of liver or fish can be made into jerky treats, when cooked on a 'barely-on' oven temperature for ages.
That is alarming about the other treats. A pet who gets into a whole bag could end up seriously poisoned. It is hard to know which chemical to fear the most.

Thanks for posting the treats recipe. I think the only way to keep you pet safe is to cook for them.

Maybe if enough of us make our own treats the companies will pay attention.
Catherine

The treats dogs (and cats) really really like best of all is simple....just a bit of cooked meat or fish, cut into small pieces and kept in the fridge in a small container. They will love this even more than any store-bought treats.

Some dogs love to crunch on carrots or small pieces of apple (core and remove all seeds first!)And sometimes even a few pieces of their regular kibble -if they love that, will do. Many dogs are easy to please when it comes to treats!
Dogs are easy to please. They just want use to give them something. It tastes better because it comes from our hands. It is more of a social thing than a hunger thing.

Cats are a little more complicated, but as you say, a little cooked meat or fish is a great treat for them.

I had a cat that liked cantaloupe. If I had some, he wanted a bit too.
Catherine