Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Hyena make a good pet !
Can Hyena Make a Good Pet

Can hyenas be good pets? Yes, hyenas can be good pets, but you still need to be careful and have great safety precautions because they are still wild animals. However, it takes a lot of patience and time to make them tamed.

[Image: hyena-pet.jpg]

Hyena Pet Behavior and Temperament

Even the smaller of the non-domestic pets, such as bobcatsservals, and Lynx, Foxes not at all like having a Hyena as a pet, Different species have different temperaments, but all of these wild animals can exhibit unwanted behaviour from urine marking to aggression.

Can you own a hyena in the US?

The only canines that are kept privately in the U.S. are wolves, wolf hybrids, and fox species. Hyenas are sometimes present, although these are more closely related to cats than dogs.

source : hyena as a pet
Welcome to the forum. What you have posted is part of a larger article. It is our custom on the forum to post the whole article and give it credit for the material.

https://animalsarea.com/keeping-and-cari...-as-a-pet/

I think the question asking about Hyenas as pets is the same as asking about any other non domestic animal as a pet. It is usually not a good idea. Even if individual wild animals can make the transition to domestic life, most do not. If it requires a lot of work to tame or domesticate an animal, my thought is why do it.
There are many good pet choices among the animals that are already domesticated. I am sure a person can find the right pet among the animals that are available.
If you want a dog like creature, check out an animal shelter. There are many good choices. There is no need to try and force domesticity on a wild animal. Many tamed wild animals are no longer suited to life in the wild, but they are also not happy in captivity.

When you think about getting a pet, you should consider whether the pet wants to be with you.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I have to agree with everything you said, Catherine.

Hyenas have a specific social structure and specific needs. Trying to "domesticate" one would be like tearing us away from friends and family, and putting us on an unfamiliar planet!

Yet, of course it is possible to have a relationship with a totally wild creature, but we must respect their wild ways.
(And oddly....just as I said that, my friendly wild Crow turned up on the hedge outside!)
I have no desire whatsoever to "tame" him. I am blessed by his friendship, and that is all, and enough for me.
well there is some people prefer to have some wild animals as a pet like hyena or even tiger or wolf or lion
and am sure u did see that in some countries even here in Africa we have that and some Gulf countries. who do it as a hobby
Quote:well there is some people prefer to have some wild animals as a pet like hyena or even tiger or wolf or lion

and am sure u did see that in some countries even here in Africa we have that and some Gulf countries. who do it as a hobby

Some people want a wild animal because they want to be different. They can't just have a nice happy pet. They want  their pet to be something no one else has.
With enough money I am sure you can buy any animal. The responsible thing would be to choose a beautiful shelter dog and donate the rest of the money to the shelter to help other dogs. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. 

Also a pet is not a hobby. Pets are living beings that we have a relationship with.

Forget having a lion, get a cat instead.
Catherine

yes u are right , having some wild animal can be a waste of money and so dangerous thing, we do see many people get killed cuz their lion or cheetah or tiger attack them.
the best thing is having a dog or cat,
It doesn't end well for the lion or Tiger either. They often get killed when they act like themselves. Some animals are not our pets and they never will be.
Catherine