Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Animal crossing over highway benefits local snakes
Highway 401 is always busy so the local animals couldn't cross safely at any time.
A highway crossing was built to connect the Spring Garden Natural Area with the Oakwood Prairie.
Since that was done, the number of animals in the area has increased. The animals are using the bridge and surviving. In particular, the Fox Snakes are using the bridge and their numbers are increasing. They are a snake with a limited  range so their numbers were never great. Now they are making a comeback, because of one road crossing bridge.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/w...-1.6124210

This is fantastic. Animal lives were being lost because of a highway.  Now they are surviving and increasing, because of a bridge.
Fox snakes are beautiful. Knowing that they are surviving and increasing is a cause for celebration.

This would be a dream vacation for me. I could sit quietly near the bridge, out of sight and watch the snakes cross the bridge. How amazing would that be.
You would be surprised at how long I could sit and watch.

Now we just need thousands more of these bridges around the world to save more wildlife.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It's wonderful that people have created animal bridges across busy highways. It is good to know the local snakes are using them too, and they are now surviving.
There are a lot of animal bridges and tunnels in various places and many different kinds of wildlife use them. There are frogs and lizards in some places. There are wolves and deer. I know in Banff Alberta the bears use the bridges a lot. It saves their lives and the lives of drivers who hit the bears. Everybody wins when we have wildlife highways.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine