Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Building for wildlife when we build for people
It is an interesting concept that we should design our buildings for the needs of animals when we design them for our needs.
That means having green rooftops. Instead of lifeless roofing, a roof would be planted with flowering plants and things that would feed insects and birds. The roof would also absorb water and mitigate flooding problems. Walls could have bird nesting sites built in or bat houses. There could be special areas of bricks that bees can use for nesting. 
The whole concept would balance the human use of the land that excludes wildlife. It would make more than a building  nature friendly, it could make whole cities 
wildlife friendly. Wildlife would thrive, but so would we. The exposure to nature  would be good for us. 

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210...-your-home

The article didn't even mention the fact that plants clean the air. Cities need cleaner air. Instead of a bleak concrete jungle our cities could be full of life. We could look out the window and see butterflies and bees. We could hear bird songs above the sounds of traffic. 

There are already places doing this. Toronto has green roof tops on some of its transit stations. There are gardens and bee hives on the rooves of some buildings.
From the number of honey bees I saw in my garden there must be a set of hives nearby.
We have choices when we build. Some features could be built into the design of a building. On a smaller scale we can design our personal spaces to be more wildlife friendly. Instead of grass, a lawn could be clover. It is good for the soil and the flowers provide for the pollinators. We get to choose, but we need to choose wisely. Nature needs us to work for it not against it. If you are not already living green, make one green choice this year. Nature will thank you and I think you will feel better.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine