Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Captain Barnacles xx
Captain Barnacles was my son's hamster. My son is 6 years old and is autistic. He became smitten with the hamster at his previous school so we thought it would be a good idea to get him his own hamster. So we bought him and his sister a hamster each.

Although my son never really bothered much with Captain mainly because he only ever came out at night, he was really heartbroken when we told him that the Captain had died. We didn't expect such a reaction.

RIP Captain Barnacles. You will be greatly missed by us all.

Jan 2012-June 2014

[Image: 006_zpsed9743d0.jpg]
[Image: 0072_zps1ebc22cb.jpg]
I am sorry your son is so upset. I guess Captain Barnacles was just there and his absence is noticed because now he is not there. He was such a quiet hamster that you don't even realize how much he was part of every day.
You have had a sad month with losses. I really feel for you. For some reason losses cluster like this. I don't know why, but they do.
It makes it hard, it seems like everything is happening at once.

Rest in peace Captain Barnacles. In your own quiet way you will be missed.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I am so sorry your son is deeply upset. But grieving can hit us very hard sometimes, I know. It can be very difficult to adjust to a family member or good friend suddenly not being there. And the bond your son made with Captain Barnacles may be something so secret and special for him, and hard for anyone to understand.
He does know that they 'go to Heaven' doesn't he? That they do indeed go to a very lovely place of happiness, and still love us, even though they are invisible.....and we can often find them/they can find us - in dreams, or when we send them our love?
I hope you are all okay. It has been a sad time for you. It all seems like loss right now, but peace returns in time. Your son will remember his fuzzy friend and be glad to have known him once the shock of losing wears off. It is just so hard to lose both hamsters and a bunny at the same time.
I hope the rest of the month is better for you.
Catherine

I'm so sorry about Captain. Hamsters are in our life for such a short time but they are cute to watch and are greatly missed when they are gone.
For such little things they leave a very big hole.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
Quote:For such little things they leave a very big hole.

How very true. A pet's presence and impact in our lives is not measured by its size.
Catherine

Thanks everyone. My son seems to have accepted that the Captain has gone and that he will always remain in our hearts. Every now and then he will tell me that he misses the Captain, and why did he have to die.
That is always the question isn't it. "Why did he have to die?"
I wish I had an answer to that question. Hamsters just have such short lives. But why should they have short lives? They do enjoy the time they have however if that is any consolation.
Catherine