Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1400 Dolphins slaughtered in the Faroe Islands
The Faroe Islands held their "traditional" whale hunt on Sunday night. They killed 1400 white sided dolphins.
They came across a super pod of dolphins and drove them onto a beach. Then they brutally slaughtered them. 
Groups like the Sea Shepherd have condemned the slaughter. Even some whalers are coming out against this.
Supposedly the dolphins were killed for food, but with 1400 dead dolphins much will be wasted.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/1-400-do...-1.5586517

Even by whaling standards this was brutal. They pretty much killed the whole pod so it wasn't even "sustainable harvesting". That pod won't be back. That pod is no more.
They were killed for their meat. I question that statement. It took hours to complete the slaughter. By the time they could deal with the bodies much of the meat  would have spoiled. If they only took one pound of meat per carcass, that would be 1400 pounds. Suppose it was ten pounds per carcass, that makes it 14,000 pounds. How do you distribute that much meat before it  spoils. Without refrigerated trucks the meat would have to be used locally. Look up the Faroes and you will see that they do not have the infrastructure to transport thousands of pounds of meat. So most of the meat spoils.

So really the dolphin slaughter is mostly about the kill. I don't know why people would be so brutal. It is claimed as a long standing tradition. 
We really need to start looking at our traditions. As a species we claim some pretty nasty stuff as traditions.
Maybe it's time we started a tradition of being nice and doing good things.

There is no justification for brutality like this.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I saw this on the BBC but didn't have time to write a long thread about it. This brutal slaughter goes on year after year, but nothing seems to stop it, despite the protests. It is truly shameful.
This time they just seem to have gone crazy and they have wiped out an entire pod of dolphins. All their arguments justifying what they do are wiped out by the extremeness of their actions.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine