Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vet forced to euthanize 5 healthy dogs in one day
A South African vet was devastated when she had to put down five healthy dogs at an animal shelter on the same day. Her last words to them were a sad apology for how humans had failed them. This time she posted that message on Facebook to try and reach people. She encourages people to adopt  dogs from shelters. She has also started a dog sterilization project to try and prevent this from happening again.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/vets-de...e-25234930

We don't always think about the vets who actually do the euthanizing of unwanted animals. This is not what they trained for. They care about the animals, but they are forced to deal with unwanted pets in a way we can't imagine.  If people would be responsible about their own pets this would not happen. If people would adopt shelter pets this would not happen. 

The vet is right to start a sterilization program. In the end it is the only way to reduce the numbers of unwanted dogs. There will always be people who give up healthy pets to the shelter, but if there were less puppies available, the shelter dogs would stand a better chance of being adopted.  I hope her campaign goes well.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I agree totally. Sterilisation seems to be the most humane solution, although if humans kept their dogs with them all the time, not letting them roam to breed unwanted puppies, and not abandoning dogs into the wild, then this would not be necessary.

Forgy is an intact male, as I did not see the point in his being castrated for no reason. He has free run of all our gardens, including the alpaca field, but it is all fenced in. I also take him for walks - but on a lead. Fortunately, he seems more interested in being with us all the time, rather than trying to escape to visit local bitches, LOL!

I understand that people in other situations cannot guarantee that their dog will not roam, but in such cases sterilisation seems the best option. It is a waste of talent if vets spend a lot of their time euthanising perfectly healthy dogs, and also a sad early end for the animals concerned.
A dog like Forgy  is never going to be out there producing unwanted puppies. He is with you all the time. It is the dogs that are going to be left to roam that need be sterilized. It is the only way to prevent an over population of dogs in an area.  I am sure the vets would rather work on a sterilization program and give time to it, when the alternative is being called on to kill perfectly healthy dogs. 

Areas that have no access to veterinarians and spay/neuter services do tend to have an over population problem. I hope in this case the vet is able to get a program going so she never has kill a healthy dog again.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine